1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cambridge Checkpoint

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by pennyrichardson, Mar 8, 2011.

1. My school will be running Checkpoint exams for Y9 starting next year.
    We don't have any materials at all and on the CIE site, I can only find one example paper.
    Does anyone have experience of Checkpoint (English)?
    I would be really grateful if there are any resources or past papers available anywhere.

2. My school will be running Checkpoint exams for Y9 starting next year.
    We don't have any materials at all and on the CIE site, I can only find one example paper.
    Does anyone have experience of Checkpoint (English)?
    I would be really grateful if there are any resources or past papers available anywhere.

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Hodder do a series of text books specifically for Checkpoint.

4. Thanks, MM. Textbooks ordered.
    I´d like to get hold of some past papers, though if there are any out there!

5. hi Penny,

I too am just starting to teach the Checkpoint Syllabus next week. I have some resources but not a whole lot of guidance! I see you posted a little while ago...how did you get on? Can you give me any tips or share some resources?! It would be amazing! I'm pretty stressed out at the moment!

Many Thanks,

Ian

6. Hi Ilean, we found the Hodder textbooks quite useful, but also spent a lot of time going through the novels and poetry that we already had in the department to meet some of the criteria. The Checkpoint English exam itself is quite frustrating for us, as it seems to be very easy for even the very best students to drop marks! To be honest, I would not choose to teach the Cambridge Lower secondary syllabus: however, the management think it is useful, so we are stuck with it.

7. hi penny,

Thanks for your response. I will check out those hodder books. Yeah...I looked at the marking scheme and it seems that if they dont use certain words then they get penalised pretty badly. A bit silly. I've got the novels and I will vertainly put some time into those. Are there any resources that you could share with me via email or something? Would be very useful. Many thanks :)

8. missmunchie

missmunchie New commenter