1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Cam. Nats. Start now with yr9?

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by nightrider, Mar 9, 2012.

1. Can pupils start any qualifications in year 9 - I heard some whispers that this was no longer allowed???
    We face the same dilema - our current situation:
    All our pupils do the OCR Nationals Core and about 30% do extra units (option groups). We all start in year 9 and work through years 9, 10 and 11. Core groups have only a single 50 mins per week and option groups have an additional 100 mins on top of the core in years 10 and 11. We currently only offer OCR National cert - no GCSE ICT.
    We are now wondering what to do next year. School context is 31% 5 A*-C inc English and Maths. Approx 40% SEN reg and 35% FSM. The OCR Nationals have contributed significantly to our figures. Many of out more able pupils are now aware of the fact that many local colleges do not accept the OCR National for entry onto some courses. A few of my colleagues do not want to continue with Nationals as they are bored of it.
    Question now is what should we offer in future? Just don't know where to go at the moment - any tips from people in a similar context would be appreciated.
    Thanks, N

2. robot1

robot1 New commenter

I wish I could do this. But only the double course is valid in 2014. Most of our students take the single course which does not count as it is less than 120 guided hours.

3. LinW2010

LinW2010 New commenter

Agreed, plus I'm always concerned OCR Nat has nothing below the pass (C). The new spec offers qualification at level 1 as well, and is marked holistically, with marks for each section, rather than on having to pass the bar on everything or get nothing.
    It's just the frustration of waiting for the materials to be released so we can get going properly.