1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calpe to Valencia area

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by rouxx, Aug 19, 2015.

1. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

For family reasons I may need to relocate to this area in Spain. Is there anyone out there who can give me a brief lowdown on schools (via pm of course T and C) to consider applying to for work (should a job arise) and schools to avoid. I am a highly experienced Primary School teacher with 11 years of overseas experience in good and well respected British international schools and a further 11 in the UK

I am aware that the salaries are fairly low in Spain and read on this forum that folks often return because of low salaries. As a single with no dependents what sort of salary should I be looking for bearing in mind I will be in a well developed tourist area? I would like to be able to save just a little to help the old pension along.

Thanks for any advice or help you can offer.

2. Malaguena

Malaguena New commenter

Salaries are low in Spain, they don't need to offer lots of money as they know there is a steady stream of teachers willing to work there for the salaries offered. However, there are more things to consider than money and the lifestyle on the coast is great; lovely weather, cheap drinks, lovely food, travel inexpensive. I wouldn't go with idea of being able to save much money, though everyone's lifestyle is different. I worked on another coast and loved it most of the time!

3. miketribe

miketribe Established commenter

If you do a search, you'll find quite a few warnings about some of the schools in the area...

4. rouxx

rouxx Lead commenter

Thanks guys.

Research is telling me I am just going to have to bite the bullet salary wise. I agree lovely weather and lovely food. Moving isn't a definite yet, if it happens I will have no choice but to just take whatever work I am offered (if any). Am hoping that as a slightly older, though by no means past it teacher (or so I like to think!), I will be able to pick up something.

Mike: I am picking up vibes about be cautious of 10 month contracts, but not finding anything else specific to watch out for. This sounds terribly naive from an experienced overseas teacher but what are the other red flag issues that I should watch out for? I guess I have been lucky so far, always ended up in decent places. I did turn Barcelona down about 7 years ago because I wasn't prepared to take the salary cut then!