1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

calm me down - I am going to choke someone!

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by dagnabit, Mar 21, 2011.

1. dagnabit

dagnabit New commenter

My head has put a bee in my bonnet and I need you to look at what was said rationally so you can help me deal with it. Was told we have some money to spend on ICT and they have decided to buy laptops with it (first I had heard about this money - if it is for ICT shouldn't the ICT co-ordinator be consulted?). I said that our laptops have proved unreliable and I would rather spend the money on desktops, especially in light of us getting a new suite shortly. The comeback was that they did not want the suite to be dedicated entirely to ICT with wires running everywhere, they wanted to use laptops so that no wires would be needed and it would convert to a classroom quickly. This was what the governors wanted (not sure I believed this bit). Again this decision was made without any mention to the ICT co-ordinator. I feel like writing to the govs to argue the case for a dedicated suite but what would I say? The no wires bit is a load of tosh because with the best will in the world if two classes use it consecutively they will need plugged in. I am so cross at all this happening without any consultation with me or the staff who teach ICT that I can't look at the head without my blood boiling. Help!!! Will their idea work practically, or am I right in feeling scornful? We are primary if this makes a difference.

2. If they have money to burn then suggest they equip the room with these:-

http://www.smartdesks.com/computer-desks-fiseries.asp

Then everyone will be happy.

3. I'm sure for the money of laptops in a classroom you could thin client the room with a virtualised server and you'd end up with minimal space taken up (no wire issues) and an infinitely more useful room.
    It's an easy argument for you to make - cost benefit analysis of a laptop room plus upgrade over 2 cycles comes out at around £32k including damages etc whereas a thin client system would be at least £10k less. Insist you have the saved £10k into your pay packet and a free holiday to Marbella, preferably each year.

4. Also laptops are geniunely awful in schools.

5. Yes - see www.edugeek.net for a more technical discussion about which managed wireless system is best, but laptops around the school should be perfectly workable if planned and funded properly.
    But, then, so do thick clients :) Personally, I look forward to the day when all you need is a web browser - don't even bother with the rest of the OS, just have the web browser be the whole thing.

6. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

HI Dagnabit
    I went through a similar process in which I felt I had to defend the continued existence of an ICT suite, alongside the deployment of wireless laptops throughout the school. It started 4 years ago and has rumbled on ever since. I ended up presenting a detailed argument to my head, addressed to the governors but not sent, and then left them to it. I was VERY prepared to say I told you so had it gone pear shaped but it's all gone quiet over there.
    Of course you should be consulted about such decisions - that's good practice and professional behaviour, but of course it is the head's and governors' decision to make in the end. This issue tells you something about your management. Don't let your blood boil, you will be needing it.

Mail me if you would like a read (I know you have my addy) and I will send you a copy.

7. Sadly, this happens in Secondary to. Tom Jones syndrome - "It's not unusual"

8. Sorry - too