1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calls from HR when you’ve called in ill

Discussion in 'Pay and conditions' started by brighdin, Feb 12, 2020.

1. brighdin

brighdin New commenter

Can anyone help please? If you’ve rung in sick on the first day, is it acceptable for HR to call regarding a different matter? I seem to think they should not but could be wrong x

2. install

install Star commenter

Would HR know you are not well?

Either way, get a phone answering machine and then you have more control over which calls you answer.

Rach05, Morninglover and brighdin like this.
  3. frustum

frustum Star commenter

They shouldn't harass you, but a single call doesn't necessarily constitute harassment. It ought to be something important, not something that could just as easily wait for your return.

4. brighdin

brighdin New commenter

That’s helpful thank

5. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

.....and part of a duty of care is to check that you're OK. This particular HR call was quite probably made in error - people make mistakes, and people aren't always perfectly informed. There's a balance to be struck between ignoring you completely, thus failing in one duty, and making calls that aren't necessary, thus failing in another direction.
    It also depends a bit, in an organisation which is working well and where staff trust one another, on why you are off sick. A broken leg might well allow you to give some input (although of course you are not required to do so), while a serious infection or post-operative recovery would not.

6. brighdin

brighdin New commenter

Thanks. That helpful. Even with a 2 very young children I am rarely off. 2 days a year maybe in a very challenging school with high absents rate, so I’d like to think I’m trusted.

7. Skeoch

Skeoch Lead commenter

Trust cuts both ways of course - some people posting here find that they can't trust their management and therefore fear getting lots of pressure when off sick. Sounds like you are in a much more favourable setting.

8. shevington

shevington Occasional commenter

Amazing how schools use to run without mobiles and some staff not having land lines. When I first stared teaching there was no phone in house . Had to go to the call box if I was ever ill !!

9. frustum

frustum Star commenter

Me too. I remember that on teaching practice, I felt really rubbish one day, but as the school wasn't actually that much further than the call box, I decided I might as well take in the set of books I'd marked. When I started my first "proper" job, there was an "incoming calls only" phone in the house.