1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calls for 'summer classes' for children missing school

Discussion in 'Personal' started by nomad, Jun 1, 2020.

1. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Children's Commissioner Anne Longfield has called on the Government to set up summer classes in July and August to help children catch up on work they missed during lockdown.

With some primary school pupils returning to school in England today, many young people face up to six months off school depending on when they are able to return.

Writing in The Daily Telegraph, she said summer schools could help the "most deprived" and "provide activities of all kinds, meals and potentially some learning too".

On social media, she said: "Good luck to all the teachers and children with returning classes in primary schools this week. There will be a few nerves but the work & planning to make schools a safe, welcoming and nurturing place has been outstanding. Thank you."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-england-52842447

I really hope she does not expect teachers to run these or to be involved in any way!

All the teachers I know have either been teaching the children deemed vulnerable or of Key Workers or have been distantly educating the children staying at home for the last ten weeks.

Ro13, Jamvic, Laphroig and 5 others like this.
  2. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

She's on BBC R4 at the moment; said it should be government funded, in school, buildings but not run by teachers. She suggests some supply teachers, NQTs not yet teaching or (hahaha) 'retired teachers'!

Apparently the Commissioner has argued for this as a normal thing every year for some time.

emerald52, Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

In order words - yet another "expert" who has any idea how schools and education work.

4. peakster

peakster Star commenter

hasn't any I meant.....

I won't try and start to make a list of WHY it wouldn't work but we all know what they are.

emerald52, catmother and agathamorse like this.
  5. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

There will be plenty willing volunteers.

6. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Thank you for the clarification.

As far as retired teachers go, count me out!

7. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Yes. That's how it starts, like the sixth period...then becomes expected.

emerald52, Jamvic and agathamorse like this.
  8. abwdSTEM

abwdSTEM Occasional commenter

Good news for supply teachers. Many will appreciate the chance to earn some money.

Jamvic and lanokia like this.
  9. Rott Weiler

Rott Weiler Star commenter Forum guide

DfE have already said that schools and teachers will not be asked to open over the summer holidays.

I guess what's being said is that someone else (not the school staff) can hire the school premises and organise their own summer schools, funded by government (but not from schools budget). That happens in some places anyway. Where they get their staff from will be their problem! It depends how much they are willing to pay I suppose...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    Jamvic, steely1, jellycowfish and 2 others like this.
  10. gainly

gainly Star commenter

So long as they are paid and not expected to volunteer.

I wonder how many children would actually go in if it was available.

steely1 and agathamorse like this.
  11. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Supply pay is as close to volunteering as is possible already, in England.

12. hhhh

hhhh Lead commenter

Perhaps not as many this year...
    I imagine many of the usual childcare camps won't run this summer, because many parents won't want to send their children into a risky situation, and I can't see a lot of the companies being willing to run for say 50% of the normal numbers, as they won't make enough profit (I could be wrong, of course, and they might get government funding). This might mean parents who work send their children to school because no other childcare is available-grandparents might be less able/willing to care for children too, due to health concerns.

Jamvic likes this.
  13. magic surf bus

magic surf bus Star commenter

Maybe the Commissioner could come to a deal with The Open University?

14. Bedlam3

Bedlam3 Star commenter

I expect they will call upon the "army" of volunteer retired teachers initially to see what they can get for free. They then might call on supply teachers as a last resort. So anyone thinking of volunteering should keep in mind that you might be doing a supply teacher out of much needed income.

15. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

My bold.
    So it’s not an educational aim but rather a way of providing child care. As a recently retired teacher I know that I’m out of touch with NC, assessment criteria etc. Education will need teachers who are up to speed .
    Oh no it’s childcare ( and a cheap headline) that’s required

So there won’t be any of the usual maintenance done?
    And they’ll provide all their own equipment?

I’m recalling the time a school I worked at was used by some organisation. On returning in September a classroom of tables and chairs had gone missing ( finally discovered in an obscure part of the site!!!???)
    The D&T department discovered a number of their tools had been ‘borrowed’ some never found and others broken. (this was from an area they hadn't hired)

I can’t remember the man hours it took to put it all right.

16. WB

WB Lead commenter

The take up rate amongst disadvantaged children will be lower than the take up rate of non-disadvantaged children.

This will mean that, ironically, an idea aimed at helping disadvantaged children catch up will mean they fall further behind.

17. peakster

peakster Star commenter

If this happens then I hope my room isn't used - we have evening classes at my school (well we used to) - every time there is a class in my room it's a mess the next morning.

18. Mangleworzle

Mangleworzle Star commenter

Place your bets please on when the next Troops-to-Teachers initiative starts, or is that just in response to complaints about discipline?

19. gainly

gainly Star commenter

Agreed, surveys of parents showed the parents of disadvantaged children were the least likely to send their children back when schools reopen.

Jamvic, WB, steely1 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Jolly_Roger15

Jolly_Roger15 Star commenter

Not another opportunity to 'put something back'? I would not want poor @nomad to have to kebab his testicles again.

Perhaps they could re-purpose all those retired health workers, who were never used?

Last edited: Jun 1, 2020
    agathamorse likes this.