1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calls for Labour's Duffield to resign for lockdown breach - double standards

Discussion in 'Personal' started by adultsocialcare, May 31, 2020.

1. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare Occasional commenter

https://news.sky.com/story/rosie-duffield-11997790

Huge anger is spreading across the UK as a Labour MP who, unlike the recent storm in a teacup over Cummings, admits seriously and wilfully breaking the lockdown rules. She was caught red-handed making secret visits to her partner, a MARRIED MAN, as well as a second home. Rosie Duffield, a Labour MP, was forced to confess after being found out but is STILL refusing to resign from her £82000 a year job, despite calling for Cummings resignation when there was a question over a small trip he took, later found to be fine. It isn't clear yet if the man's actual wife knew of the secret love meetings. Sun reporters are currently trying to track her down.

In a massively embarrassing show of double standards, the Labour leadership has decided that this MP will remain a Labour MP and can continue to collect her huge salary. An anonymous quote from one angry member of the public said, "Dominic Cummings according to the police made at best a minor transgression and wasn't worth prosecuting. But as an elected Labour representative, Duffield should resign immediately and a by-election be called."

Labour's leader Kier Starker is being criticised this morning for shockingly failing miserably his first test of real leadership; whilst calling for an expensive and long public enquiry into Cummings, he has failed to do the same for his own MP. "He has failed to make a public statement on the disgraceful behaviour by one of his own MPs, and is hoping it will just melt away with noone noticing", said one member of the public. Duffield and her lover have refused to make a statement. It is not clear where they currently are.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
    BelleDuJour likes this.
  2. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

Millions of people will be crowding the beaches today, saying 'if Rosie Duffield can break the rules, so can I". :cool:

WB and adultsocialcare like this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

Huge anger ? - nobody even knows who she is.

By the way - she's already resigned her position.

Will Cummings ?

Desperate stuff indeed

4. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If that indeed is proven true, then yes like anyone else in a position where one needs to elad by example, she ought to resign. Failing that yes she ought to be sacked.

'Firm but fair' and consistency policy.

EDIT Ah I see peakster's posted she's done the 'decent thing' and resigned.
    Though how one will be able to have a by-election in these days is an entirely different matter.

ajrowing likes this.
  5. florian gassmann

Most people had no idea who Cummings is before the events of last week.

Only her job as a whip. She hasn't resigned as an MP, so she retains her main salary.

No more so than Rosie Duffield has resigned as an MP.

No by-election as she hasn't resigned as an MP. She's only stepped down from her little extra earner as a Labour whip.

Last edited: May 31, 2020
  6. adultsocialcare

She still has her job. A whip in the Labour shadow party is just a non-job, like being a milk monitor at school. She is still collecting her £82000 a year, plus perks and benefits.

This high profile MP must resign and should do what Cummings did, call a media conference so the entire world can question her. Starmer must also make a statement and explain why he called for Cummings to resign but not his own MP. He is not going to be allowed to bury this one so must try to employ damage limitation tactics.

Thousands of people are in my local park this morning. All they are saying is, "If Duffield can meet with her friends and lovers, then so can I."

7. peakster

peakster Star commenter

8. ilovesooty

ilovesooty Star commenter

I doubt very much that thousands of people are citing Rosie Duffield in the park this morning.

I'm saddened that she's done this as she's suffered enough through domestic abuse personally already. Also her partner has left his wife and they are now living together.

However she has made an apology. Cummings hasn't.

vannie, monicabilongame and idlp56 like this.
  9. adultsocialcare

Remember, this MP, and Starmer, called for Cummings to resign for not observing the lockdown rules. There is no doubt she broke them too as she has confessed meeting the married man - was it for love sessions or to discuss constituency issues? She must give a press conference like the brave and honourable Cummings, to explain her actions.

She cannot call for the resignation of Cummings, then keep her own job when caught breaking the same rules!!

She has to go.

10. peakster

peakster Star commenter

There are thousands of people in your local park talking about Duffield are there ?

Really

11. peakster

peakster Star commenter

As you have a habit of reporting people for everything I will now take my leave from this farcical nonsense.

adultsocialcare and ilovesooty like this.
  12. ilovesooty

Good idea. Especially after reading the OP's last post.

13. MyOrchid

MyOrchid Established commenter

I resent that. I was an excellent milk monitor in school, in what was a vital position as far as I was concerned....

14. colpee

colpee Star commenter

Monotonous conversation; they should go skiing.

15. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I'm sure they would luv it.

16. florian gassmann

I imagine the comment was ironic. The thousands of people crowding the beaches and parks are unlikely to cite anyone other than their mates for such behaviour. If they do, it will be all the many footballers, soap stars and other personalities who have broken lockdown rules - not a Labour politician or a political advisor.

It would be odd to apologise for following the PHE guidelines. It would leave all the rest of us who have observed the guidelines wondering if we too should apologise for doing so.

17. ilovesooty

I was referring to the OP's post about his local park. Apologies if that was unclear.

18. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

You are utterly ridiculous, and why weren't you social distancing in your local park with all those thousands?

ajrowing likes this.
  19. artboyusa

artboyusa Star commenter

Wrong again. Twice.
    She's my local MP. Everyone around here knows who she is.
    And she's only resigned her post as a Labour whip, not as an MP.

alex_teccy and install like this.
  20. peakster

peakster Star commenter

It's all downhill for you Mr skiing.