1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calls for Cummings to resign

Discussion in 'Personal' started by moscowbore, May 23, 2020.

1. moscowbore

moscowbore Star commenter

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-52780561

The facts are not contested by anyone. Cummings and his wife, while sick with covid19 symptoms drove from London to Durham.

They dropped off their child with grandparents.

Apparently they did not break any lockdown rules.

2. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

You always seem to be first out with your deckchairs whe there's a hanging.

BelleDuJour likes this.
  3. peakster

peakster Star commenter

I started a thread on this last night.

Unless Tory MPs get involved - he'll stay.

But the lock down ends.

lunarita and Sally006 like this.
  4. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

It ended many weeks ago.

5. moscowbore

Imagine the questions at the daily briefing. Even Gove would be struggling to defend Cummings not being sacked.

6. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

Patience is a virtue.

7. moscowbore

Getting the snacks and deck chair organised for about 4:30 after the politician du jour repeats the same old nonsense and gives the same pointless, meaningless numbers. The first question from the bbc will be incendiary.
    The politician will just ignore the question and give a speech about 25000 tracers being employed. The app will not be mentioned.
    Keir Starmer will have a field day at the next PMQs. Betcha bojo is already dreading it.

theworm123, silkywave, idlp56 and 4 others like this.
  8. LondonCanary

LondonCanary Star commenter

That will be June 3rd.

madcatlady likes this.
  9. adultsocialcare

adultsocialcare New commenter

"Keir Starmer will have a field day at the next PMQs. Betcha bojo is already dreading it."

Really? The Tories are going to be in power for the next 9.5 years thanks to Corbyn. A few questions from a party with just over 200 MPs are not going to keep Boris awake at night. Too many people seem to think that being a party of opposition is great, that the 10 minutes of PMQ a few times a week will stick it to the Tories good and proper. Being a party of opposition is largely pointless, theatrical, dressing.

"The facts are not contested by anyone."

Both the BBC and other media outlets do not like Cummings for his anti-BBC stance and have an agenda. The sensationalism of this storm in a tea cup says more about the BBC than it does about Cummings. I think many peoplewith the C19 issue have started to realise the BBC is not unbiased, does have an a agenda. This illustrates that. I think you'll find the 'facts' are not all out yet.

"That will be June 3rd."

I doubt any of the media outlets, BBC included, will be able to keep focused on a story for more than a week at most. They seem to have forgotten, for example, that Hancock's adult social care consultation for MPs has ended. This was announced in March 6th and was widely reported at the time. Now, nothing. Not a mention of the end of the consultation. No demand to see the outcome of the 'consultation'.No pressing Boris / Hancock on the next stage. No roadmap for a solution to those with dementia, Alzheimer's, the very old and frail.

If the BBC prefers trying to get one over on Cummings rather than exposing the real issues of our time, then I agree with Cummings - it's time for the BBC in its current shape to go.

Last edited by a moderator: May 23, 2020
    install, BelleDuJour and ACOYEAR8 like this.
  10. Sally006

Sally006 Senior commenter

I have to say Keir Starmer has just made Boris look a complete blundering fool. At last an effective Leader of the Opposition who is able to do this. Can’t wait to see Boris try and wriggle out of this. I think the regime is starting to crumble.

Alice K and silkywave like this.
  11. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

And:
    upload_2020-5-23_9-5-50.png

God this is a complete non-story....

Meanwhile Tahir Ali and Stephen Kinnock look around wondering if anyone will spot them.

12. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

Are you aware there's a pandemic and mass economic crisis?

13. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

"effective" ... "effective" ...

Nope, struggling... is this like "sick" and "wicked"?

14. lanokia

lanokia Star commenter

If someone is describing a democratically elected government as a "regime" ... you know they're just another crank.

Kandahar likes this.
  15. Scintillant

Scintillant Star commenter

Apart from the fact that Cummings thought he had Covid-19 and still decided to visit his parents with his very likely asymptomatic child as a gift.

Must have been after the inheritance.

silkywave and pipryan like this.
  16. Kandahar

Kandahar Star commenter

image-asset.jpeg

17. ACOYEAR8

ACOYEAR8 Senior commenter

Clearly Cummings was only following what he himself had declared to be useful; On March 12th FT said:

https://www.ft.com/content/623a86ec-6c4c-11ea-9bca-bf503995cd6f

"Mr Cummings was also impressed by the initial advice from Sir Patrick and Chris Whitty, England’s chief medical officer, that Britain would be better able to resist a second wave next winter if the population had acquired “herd immunity” in the meantime. By then perhaps 40m people might have been infected."

Should he resign ? What purpose would it serve ? Far bigger mistakes have been made by people more important than Cummings and they still stand, more awkwardly, I admit, in Daily Briefing, wishing they were anywhere other than no .10.

18. pipryan

pipryan New commenter

All breaches aside, if he’s so stupid to do that (knowing or should have known potential repercussions) he’s not clever enough to be advising the PM. Perhaps another advisory role connected with effective bull…..ing, something he seems quite adept at.

ajrowing and Brunel like this.
  19. Morninglover

Morninglover Star commenter

It was a joint investigation by the Guardian & the Mirror that revealed that Cummings and his wife broke the government's strict rules about staying at home.

Nothing though to do with the BBC, but son't let the facts get in the way of your prejudice!

DonutBoy99, Alice K, steely1 and 4 others like this.
  20. Ivartheboneless

Ivartheboneless Star commenter

Ooh look, new posters popping up fully formed with an agenda and knowing eveything about the post system on here. I would smell a rat but I have to stay at least 2 metres away!