1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calls for an overhaul re sex education in schools

Discussion in 'Education news' started by JosieWhitehead, Dec 19, 2017.

1. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Yes.

No.

For some definition of "inadequate".

Very roughly but these are significantly smaller proportions than those of boys & girls not in care, around 99% of children in England & Wales, who have not been in custody. The data show that parents know best how to raise children.

2. thyr

thyr Occasional commenter

Again: let's have your constructive ideas of what to do with those whose parents don't know how to raise them.

3. Vince_Ulam

There is no reason why I should have any nor to offer them here had I.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2017
  4. thyr

thyr Occasional commenter

You are beginning to bore me.

5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

How to hear "NO".

Lalad and wanet like this.
  6. Vince_Ulam

You want excitement, watch a movie.

7. saluki

saluki Senior commenter

Back on Topic: I totally disapprove of the local head teacher who stood up in front of a group of 4-5 year olds and told them that two women can get married. At least one little girl went home and told her mother that she was going to grow up and marry another woman and have children. Cue lots of explanation from mother that you need a man to have a baby.
    Of course man may have become extinct by the time this girl grows up. You may be able to just order babies from the sperm bank. who knows?
    I think a lot of sex education is too much too soon. Let 5 year olds live in innocence. The human body and development can be covered in Science - age appropriate. At 5 it is enough to know that babies grow in Mummies tummies. When they are interested they will ask for further details.
    I personally did not know about puberty and sexual intercourse until I was about 10 or 11. I was living quite happily in blissful ignorance before that. Times have changed but there is no need to force sex education down kids' too early.
    Yes, they do need to be aware that they should not talk to strangers and need to stay safe on line. They need to know that their body is private and needs to be respected. When they are teenagers they need a lot of guidance about relationships etc.
    But how many teenagers will resist sexting because their teacher told them not to do it??

num3bers likes this.
  8. tandemtinker

tandemtinker New commenter

9. tandemtinker

tandemtinker New commenter

Well said, Saluki! Exactly, word for word, what we should be doing in SE.

10. TCSC47

TCSC47 Lead commenter

I have taught "sex" education and one thing that was mentioned in the radio discussions was that the subject should be taught by people from outside the school. It is very difficult for an everyday teacher to teach the subject and then try and return to a normal teacher / student relationship the next day with their own subject.

But of course that will cost the school money.

11. num3bers

num3bers Occasional commenter

This is a problem. They are battling with this where I work. The job of SRE has been placed on the shoulders of form tutors and is being done in form time. A number of staff have offloaded the task to their "assistant" form tutors or doubled forms to get just one member of staff to do it because , frankly none of them want to teach it.

When it was suggested to SLT that maybe it should be done by dedidcated staff/ some outside speakers, it fell on deaf ears and was deflected with some notion that a course and training would be provided. That was useless.

Like many others I think(?) I dont want to teach SRE. I really am not comfortable with it. I dont think my own knowledge of sex ( yes I am married and have kids) is enough for teaching this. I do not know what to say about sexting and such other than dont. I will be hanged if I understand anything else. Its all too passing me by - and yes, at the end of the day, my relationship to the pupils is teacher, that has a lot of implications concerning having some distance between me and them. SRE blurs boundaries.

( oh and for the record, I am uncomfortable about some of the teachers who would teach my children too.).

12. CheeseMongler

CheeseMongler Established commenter

Sorry to criticise, I do agree with the sentiment that 5 year olds do not need to know many details, but please can we not promote this misconception. Apart from the jelly variety, babies do not exist inside tummies; they grow and develop inside a womb or uterus. I don't understand why people often use "Mummy's tummy," but it leads to a scary number of students that assume babies grow in stomachs.