1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling Y4 teachers past or present

Discussion in 'Primary' started by roddywoomble, Jul 14, 2012.

1. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

Hi everyone,

I'm a recently qualified NQT (qualified about a month ago) and have been working in one of my ex-placement schools doing all the PPA cover for the final half term.
    For Monday (am), I have Y4 - who are the most difficult class in the school - and have been told to do anything I want, as long as it's educational. Really, I'm going to need to fill up 2 hours of teaching time and would love to do something which doesn't require marking!
    Y4 teachers...what are the best or most interesting lessons you've done? Drama / PSHE lessons, I feel would be good, or something Olympic themed. As I said, something which doesn't need marking would be great, and something which doesn't create a mess.
    Thanks,

Shane

2. roddywoomble

roddywoomble New commenter

Why have you presumed I haven't had this clarified? Of course I have! I clearly stated in my post the circumstances and the briefing I have been given about the morning. I'm free to do whatever! Infact, I've been discouraged from doing literacy or numeracy as the classes usually swap for those but will not be swapping tomorrow morning.
    Anyway, does anyone have anything to offer?

3. I'd go for some sort of challenge activity - which team can build the highest tower using only 10 sheets of newspaper, which team can build a bridge which will support an egg using only 2 paper cups and 2 sheets of A4, etc....

4. What about art linked to Olympics.
    Or you could do something with the Olympic/paralympic values. Talk about times they showed these values. I did come across an idea - if you had to keep one of the values which would it be. Pupils work in groups and have a debate about which value is the most important. What would happen if you didn't have it etc?

Design Olympic mascot/school mascot!
    There are also lots of Olympic maths ideas on TES.