1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling the Duke of York...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Lalad, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

...or anyone else who understands fluorescent lights!
    We have a six foot long fluorescent light in the garage which has been working since we moved in five years ago but recently stopped working. I have replaced the two bulbs (£7.50 each!) and it worked for a couple of days but is now not working again. When I bought the bulbs, the salesperson said I needed two starters as well, so I have got them, but didn't put them in as I couldn't find any starters to replace, or anything that looked like the holes for them - I have looked on the top, sides, ends, everywhere I can think of!
    Any ideas as to what I do now? If there are some starters, where else could they be? If not, why would the light not be working with new bulbs, especially as it worked to start with? Could do without having to get an electrician in if possible!

2. VanEyssen

VanEyssen Established commenter

Sometimes the starter is inside the body of the unit, you may have to take the cover off.

3. Lascarina

Lascarina Star commenter

Sounds right up DoY' s street;)

4. Jude Fawley

Jude Fawley Star commenter

Sounds like terrible trouble

I don't think you need the Duke of York.

You need the Light Brigade.

5. Duke of York

Duke of York Star commenter

It's extremely rare for anything other than a tube or a starter to fail in a fluorescent light. In my experience, the ratio of tubes to starters failing is around 3:2 and the only way it's practical to determine which has failed is through substitution, although if you look at the the tube ends when they're turned off and they appear to be blackened, there's a fair chance the tube has had it.

As Madge suggests, there will be a starter somewhere, and occasionally they are fitted inside the housing. It should be simple enough to remove the cover to find it, although it can be a pain to replace the cover if you're standing on a chair and stretching.

marlin likes this.
  6. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

See, this is what happens when you summon the D of Y - like having Superman on standby ;)
    Ha ha - just went out to see how to remove the cover and it is working again! Maybe he sent in the Light Brigade after all?

marlin and Lascarina like this.
  7. jamiedoorknob

jamiedoorknob Occasional commenter

If its going on and off either your wiring needs looked at urgently or you're in a horror film.

8. Lalad

Lalad Star commenter

Hmmm...now you mention it, jamie, there is a weird howling sound coming from outside...:eek:

Seriously though, if they are stopping and starting, does that mean I should still replace the elusive starters , assuming I can find them? The casing is metal and there is no obvious way into it.

9. Duke of York

I now live in a "Drive", Lascarina. I'm uncertain how this differs from a road, or indeed a street. As you know, I recently lived in a close and before that I lived in a road, that was almost part of the High Street before it ran out and became a road again. My first business was in a lane, which I would guess was no more than 1,000 yards in length before it reached the river and not a sheep nor cow in sight to admire the view, and neither a blade of grass for a squirrel to hide it's nuts beneath.

A short way from us is a "Rise" What do we take that to mean? I haven't got round to checking yet whether if you enter from the other end, the sign calls it a descent.

It's all stuff to keep the mind occupied, isn't it?

Who knows the definitive method by the highways and byways get described?

10. jamiedoorknob

jamiedoorknob Occasional commenter

Florescent won't go on and off. They will come on dimmer at first and then they will stop working. If its on and off its your wiring. If you don't get it looked at somebody will get a shock from a socket or light switch.

But don't worry, its probably just the zombies having a laugh.

11. Duke of York

The chances are that when you take the tube out, you'll see a couple of screws you loosen then slide along a keyhole slot so the cover can slip over the screw heads. Don't take the screws out completely and imagine you'll ever get them back in again through the cover. Just loosen them enough to slide along to the hole, then after you're through with replacing the starter, work the screw heads back through the holes, slide the screws back along the slot and tighten them if you still have any strength left in your arms, or leave it for another day if you ain't.

12. Didactylos4

Didactylos4 Star commenter

There may not be a definitive list but there are some traditional ones.
    And according to most of them a "Rise" is a small road which ascends too gently to be classed as a "Hill".
    I live in a "Close" which is defined as "a residential street without through access"

13. marlin

marlin Star commenter

When a new council housing estate was built in my home village (I think in the 1950s) the streets were all named after the members of the Parish Council. Surnames were used. Mr Marlin's grandfather was on the council at the time and really didn't feel happy about this, so insisted that the smallest street bore his name. So, Hill Street in the village is named after him - it is a very flat road by the way!

I moved to the village in the 60s to a new private housing estate. All of the roads on the estate were named using the first names of family members of the builder - Alans Way, Peters Avenue etc.