1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling teachers in sen school. What do you want from your TA

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by Nagshead, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Nagshead

Nagshead New commenter

After some advise please. I currently work in mainstream as a 1:1 sen lsa. I have over ten years of working 1:1 with children with complex needs.
    I have an interview next week at a SEN school, I'm fairly confident about the actual interview but would.like some pointers for a two hour classroom observation.
    As a teacher in a SEN school,what are you looking for in a class ta. I was planning on asking the teacher who she wants me to work with, what level is the child working at and what is their preferred method of communication.
    Any advice truly appreciated.

2. minnie me

minnie me Star commenter

2 hours seems a long time to me ! but in answer to your query ( am not SEND school as such by the by ).....You may be directed to an individual student ( given your background ) and / or group of students ? I am assuming there would be documentation to outline the strategies / mechanisms to support their individual learning need( s) but clarifying this would be a starter as would the setting's take on assessment and ' levelling ' ... assuming also that the observers want to see your expertise in addressing specifics as well as how you relate to the children, how adaptable / confident you are, your capacity to adjust to a new situation and generally how effective you are in supporting the teacher meet the learning outcomes of the lesson. Reflect too on your experience of having worked with complex 1:1 students and put yourself in the place of the class teacher ? What kind of professional conversation would you expect / want to have to get the best out of the students in your charge ? Good Luck

3. R13

R13 Occasional commenter

Most children with complex needs have a 1-1 in mainstream . . . . the children in special schools typically don't as the overall ratio is better. I want a team player and I would want someone who despite 10 years of experience, is keen to learn and develop. Experience is great . . . but make sure you don't give the impression (Wrong as I am sure it would be) that you think you know it all

jumpingstar likes this.
  4. jumpingstar

jumpingstar New commenter

Totally agree with this!

I would want someone who loves their job above all and is passionate about the children and getting the provision right for each individual child. Also someone who is open to development and using an assess, plan, do review approach so is up for continually adapting and changing approach as suits. Basically they have to be up for working as a team, be enthusiastic and love what they do! There is nothing worse than someone who doesn't want to change and grow!

5. Nagshead

Nagshead New commenter