1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

calling surferboy!! (or other WJEC bods)

Discussion in 'Religious Education' started by san38, Jun 8, 2011.

1. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks so much annamallene for that very detailed reply. I'm currently doing Phil and Ethics, Nature of Deity, Death, Medical Ethics and Relationships.
    There does seem to be a fair amount of cross-over, but I don't think I'm going to be able to get around the differences for next year's Y11. We have looked at differences in Christianity but OCR does not require emphasis on this so it wouldn't be fair to students to try and get them to start doing this I don't think. I agree that the 2 religions option looks much better so I might start that with the incoming y10. We get an hour a week and most kids just do short course. Some 'top up' to full course by doing an extra hour in the last term. May look at extending this for more of them which will help to 'sell ourselves' to the budget cutting SLT! Thanks again.

2. Sorry for delay in replying - have been at the marking meeting for 2nd paper!
    You can just do Christianity as long as students can specify differences between denominations (for example if the question asks for 2 different religious perspectives on contraception you could in theory do Roman Catholic as one perspective and Anglican as another) although the most popular combination is Christianity and Islam.
    I love the spec (as annamallene does) and find ot accessible for all. We do the Religion and Life issues as a short course option through 1 lesson a week during KS4 with students able to top up to the Full Course by doubling the time.
    Try to get to the exam review meeting in Oct / Nov as this tends to be very helpful or contact the subject officer Tudor as he will send useful stuff your way too.
    Hope this helps and if you need anything then let me know!
    S

3. In response to the 2nd part of your question (have just realised that I didn't answer everything!) we tend to teach the 'issue' first followed by religious views (this lends itself well to topics such as abortion; euthanasia and war for the religion and human experience paper) or can link the whole thing in one lesson (for example views on contraception with the 'starter' looking at the issue / concept before exploring it from a religious view e.g. This is what Roman Catholics or some Muslims think - do you agree and why?
    S

4. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks very much surferboy - especially for taking the time when you must be up to your eyes in marking! That's really helpful and I will certainly try to attend in the Autumn.
    Thanks again.

5. No worries.
    Let me know if you want any SOW / resources etc sent your way.
    Good luck in changing / making decisions etc.
    S

6. san38

san38 New commenter

Thanks - you're a star. Good luck with the marking![​IMG]

7. Hey Surferboy
    I am moving schools this summer and the department currently do WJEC... I have done Edexcel for the last 6 years. What are the major things I need to know?
    They do Spec B full course. Do you do this one?