1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling police into school

Discussion in 'Scotland - education news' started by santamonica, Feb 14, 2016.

1. santamonica

santamonica New commenter

Does anyone know if there is a specific procedure that should be followed if an incident occurs in school and a teacher wants the police involved but management doesn't? If the teacher chose to phone the police against management advice could they then be disciplined?

2. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

If a crime has been committed you can't be disciplined for reporting it but that doesn't mean there will be no "informal" repercussions. Involve your union if you can.

3. Effinbankers

Effinbankers Lead commenter

If there's been an assault or aggressive incident or something of that ilk, the police should always be called.

Management have a duty of care to employees and all councils have a zero tolerance policy of aggression towards staff, be it from a parent or pupil. There will be no comeback if staff feel threatened

4. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Yeah, polis every time.

5. MilkyBar Kid

MilkyBar Kid Occasional commenter

The basic rule of thumb is if you would call the police outside for something that happens then you call them inside a school for the same thing. However I know there are grey areas, eg verbal abuse or kids nicking stuff from your desk. Some neds treat schools as polis-free zones and believe they can get away with almost anything, laughing behind the heidies back when they get away with an exclusion (holiday) for a violent assault on another pupil. HT's don't want to get the police involved as twitter goes into overdrive, rumours spread and the school soon gets a bad reputation. As has been said union support is the only way to tackle it with clear unequivocal guidelines (followed through) on what merits police intervention.

6. morrisseyritual

morrisseyritual Occasional commenter

Caution is advised. Anything egregiously violent and/or sexual is a straight-to-police matter for me. Swearing is an area where incidents have a bit more subjectivity to them, I feel. Theft I find is always taken very seriously by police - especially changing room thefts. I've been in schools over the years where this has happened and been investigated thoroughly. Police are obliged to respond to any report filed. In early teaching practice a colleague phoned police on a DHT for stealing school equipment and materials (a big tape recorder and multitude of tapes)
    Years later too girls scratched face and punched ear of a sixty-something woman on supply and the HT just picked phone up to police there and then.

7. cochrane1964

cochrane1964 New commenter

Management refused to follow council policy when I was assaulted inform LA and Police.
    So I phoned them.
    HT went mental but police were great.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  8. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Good for you, cochrane.

9. brothermunro

brothermunro Occasional commenter

Cochrane1964 is completely right, if a pupil or parent (or staff member...) has committed a crime and you are the victim you are fully within your rights to inform the police and press charges.

And no your HT cannot take any action against you because of it.

bigjimmy2 likes this.
  10. Marisha

Marisha Established commenter

I called the police this year. A charming young man had verbally abused me after I isolated him in my room, consequent to his abuse of his class teacher.

Supposedly, the wee darling understood that he was in the wrong, yadda, yadda…

Cut to a couple of weeks later when his pal gleefully reads out a text threatening violence of a sexual nature towards me. SLT supposedly couldn't do anything.

I phoned the police and told the SLT I was doing it. Strangely enough, the boy was subsequently excluded.

kibosh, subman68 and bigjimmy2 like this.
  11. bigjimmy2

bigjimmy2 Lead commenter

Good for you Marisha.

Isn't it b l o o d y pathetic that you have to phone the polis for yourself rather rely on your caring, sympathetic SLT to do it for you?

kibosh likes this.