1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

calling out in class - how much to tolerate?

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by purpleflamingo, Sep 2, 2010.

1. Random175

Random175 New commenter

You could throw the teddy. If they call out they don't get it. With some classes something as simple as this works well. I have an array of soft toys with a different feel for throwing to children to answer questions. Children in my school are incredibly immature, hence their inability to listen to others or hold their thoughts in their heads.

2. On my NQT seminar with the union the behaviour session was excellent. Her suggestion for this issue was to tell the calling out child at the begining that the 4th time she put her hand up to answer a question she would be invited to answer the question (and get a reward I think?) and get given lots of praise for it and for knowing the answer to the previous three questions obviously! This is monitored by tasking the child next to her to count the number of hands up - again lots of praise for that child too.
    Sounds complicated but that is my explanation being poor!

3. Easy solution for this - and it works:
    When you ask a question, put your own hand up. They see before they speak, and copy you.

4. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

*claps*

5. I have a class that call out a lot. We now play a game where the children pick a name for the table that they sit on. Every time that someone on the table calls out at an inappropriate time they get a mark against the team. The team with the least marks goes out to play first. I know it is probably not the most positive strategy but the children love it and ask to play every lesson. It had instantaneous results. They aren't even getting a massive reward they just enjoy playing.

6. YesMrBronson

YesMrBronson New commenter

Great advice as usual from coolas. This works really well. You can also slip in the words "hands up" just as you ask the question sometimes (whilst raising your own hand).

7. Tom_Bennett

Tom_Bennett Occasional commenter

Bang tidy.
    Read more from Tom here on his personal blog, or follow him on Twitter here.