1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling out and taking time to fall quiet

Discussion in 'Behaviour' started by alexcros, Nov 23, 2015.

1. alexcros

alexcros New commenter

Hello,

I have a few Y9 and Y8 sets, all of which are full of great kids. However I am facing challenges in relation to pupils calling out repeatedly when questions are asked an during class discussions. I have tried tactics such as asking for no hands up and picking individually on students after think, pair, share activities, as well as things such as "hands up f you can tell me..." and individual praise. However a number of pupils, generally the pupils who want to contribute the most, still call out. I am finding it difficult to remedy this, despite the behaviour I expect having been modeled on a number of occasions.

I also find that in these sets some pupils take time to fall quiet at various time in the lessons and it takes time for silence to be achieved.I will repeatedly have to pause due to pupils talking over others or pupils attempting to talk shortly after having settled into silence during a class discussion.

Are there any tips that people have?

2. bananatree84

bananatree84 Occasional commenter

Have you looked at helpful talk? The year 2 teacher in my school used it with his class and now if he wants to remind them all he does is say is that helpful? I realise your class is older than mine (year 1) but it really helped them learn to put up their hands when I explained why I wanted hands up, and to say to them if you were still thinking of an answer and others kept shouting it out how would you feel?

3. Landofla

Landofla Established commenter

When I can, I ignore the calling out and ask someone with their hand up for the answer. I always add, "thank you for waiting patiently with your hand up, <insert name here>." When I know lots will want to say the answer, I count 1, 2, 3 and they all say it as the same time. I say I'm going to do that before asking the question.
    Have you tried saying, "<insert name here> is going to pick the child to answer this question..."?
    I've also thrown a soft object to the child answering. They'll wait patiently if they think it's a game.

Hope it helps.

4. missrturner

missrturner Occasional commenter

Not sure how effective these would be in KS3, however, I've used a random name picker on the IWB in the past (http://www.classtools.net/random-name-picker/ or http://classtools.net/main_area/fruit_machine.swf).

I also used @Landofla's tip of everyone saying the answer together during a Yr6 placement.

Perhaps you could have the children write their answers on a whiteboard/paper and showing them as a whole class, allowing you to see all of their contributions (to please those who call out), whilst picking an individual to expand/discuss their answer.

5. lou1990lou

lou1990lou New commenter

I was having this problem and then I have started making it seem like I haven't heard them. For example "What is 2 plus 2?" cue three people shouting out "nobody knows? Come on, what's 2 plus 2?" possibly cue more shouting out "I can hear lots of answers but can't see any hands up, what's 2 plus 2?"

Or if I can tell that they are going to shout out, I just say, "hands up first" and then answer the question.

6. oHelzo

oHelzo Occasional commenter

I prefer to give a child's name with the question - if you have an good idea of where they're working on a topic you can select those working at a lower level for the simpler questions and those working at a higher level for the more complex questions. Trying to remember not to pick on the same names :/

Or if all are working at a similar level, I had a set of names on giant lolly sticks I used to pick out for questions - then I'd make sure I didn't pick on someone again by leaving those sticks out. Putting the names on was a 5 min job for the pupils as an icebreakerin their first lesson to get them used to summing themselves up very quickly in a small area just using colour/ pattern.