1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling for survivors of legal claims against schools, esp. China

Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by englishdragon, May 5, 2018.

1. englishdragon

englishdragon Occasional commenter

Several lawsuits are currently progressing through labor arbitration against 'rent-a-name' gumboots in Shanghai and the infamous six letter sad values school in Tianjin. It appears the outcomes may favor the teachers.

I am looking for information about other legal claims against schools that have been either settled or decided by the courts. Outcomes in favor of teachers, and outcomes in favor of the school. The ISR pages are littered with stories of teachers being terminated at whim, and it appears that most victims simply pack their bags and leave ASAP. This simply empowers the owners or SLT to keep doing what they are doing.

A comprehensive account of legal outcomes could empower teachers to stand their ground in the future, and create a more equitable work environment for everyone. Despite the conventional wisdom, employees have a lot of rights under Chinese Labor Law. More teachers could stand firm and claim these rights.

February 31st and lucky.lady, as you know I am well aware of the information you have already shared. I have tracked down the past posts and some newspaper articles about the spotted OGREs of Tianjin and Shanghai.

Please reply here, or PM me.

ruthwill500 likes this.
  2. snitzelvonkrumm

snitzelvonkrumm Occasional commenter

It is beyond my understanding how and why these established English independent schools can allow their name/brand to be so damaged. What sort of financial 'arrangements' are in place? Are their school boards and parent bodies fully informed of the horrors occurring under their name. Educational prostitution?

ruthwill500 likes this.
  3. ejclibrarian

ejclibrarian Established commenter Community helper

Has anyone thought to contact the papers in the towns where these UK schools are located? Bad local press might have some impact.

ruthwill500 and snitzelvonkrumm like this.
  4. snitzelvonkrumm

Now that legal disputes are in the courts and that the issues extend beyond isolated cases, would it not be time for exposure through the media. The British public needs to know the travesty caused under the name of their school system.
    English Dragon, thank you for exposing Sad Values School and best wishes in gathering further information.

ruthwill500 likes this.
  5. snitzelvonkrumm

6. ruthwill500

ruthwill500 New commenter

englishdragon - I assume you are also encouraging those who may have wanted /considered taking legal action in China, to make contact?
    Have you had much of a response yet?