1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling Egyptgirl

Discussion in 'Cookery' started by henriette, Apr 15, 2012.

1. henriette

henriette New commenter

For o/h's birthday in July (yes, I'm planning ahead), A has requested my "Greek" lemon chicken with Greek Salad and bread. Easy.
    C has asked for mezze - easy.
    Please suggest pudding ideas for a man who does not have a sweet tooth + 3 other adults and 4 teenagers. I started with "Oooh - watermelon" and was shouted down!
    Thanks
    H
    x

2. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

No harm in planning ahead, H!
    My first idea would be for something like a halva which is simple to make and you can incorporate some semolina into the mixture which gives it a great texture. Traditionally, it is soaked in sugar syrup but you can make it into a spicy syrup which would stop it from being too sweet for OH!
    Another idea I had would be something like a date and almond tart flavoured with orange flower water (delicious - my Grandmother used to make it for family gatherings) but I don't know how you all feel about dates?!
    Or Baklava? Can be quite sweet though!
    You could try an Egyptian-style rice pudding (made with cinnamon [​IMG]) but it might be a bit heavy as a pudding!

3. BelleDuJour

BelleDuJour Star commenter

What about an assortment of homemade sorbets using mediterranean fruits such as nectarine or melon (even watermelon!).
    Or go a bit on the Spanish side and do creme catalana? If the main is Greek(ish) just tour the med for ideas for pud.

4. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Somewhere I have a recipe for a spanish cake made with yoghourt but there's also the Greek honey cake, or watermelon sorbet or sweet cannelloni, something with figs maybe?

5. lapinrose

lapinrose Lead commenter

Found it, it's rather good, so I'll post it anyway.
    Spanish Cake
    3 eggs
    1 cup oil
    1 cup yoghurt
    3 cups SR flour
    2 cups caster sugar
    2 tablespoons honey
    Juice of 1 orange
    Sift flour into bowl, add sugar, make well in centre and mix in the rest of the ingredients.
    Grease and line 2x8" sponge tins or 1 deep one. Spoon mixture in; Bake at 160C for 20-30 mins for sandwich layers or 30-49 mins for deeper cake, Reduce temperature if the cake starts to get too brown. Warm honey and orange juice in saucepan.
    When cooked, remove from tin, ***** with skewer and pour over warm honey and orange juice.
    Suggested fillings, whipped cream mixed with Greek yoghurt, fruit, cream, custard, nuts etc