1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling Cairo

Discussion in 'Teaching overseas' started by Happy_Daze, Dec 7, 2011.

1. I taught in Cairo from 2000-2004 and am anxious to get back. Am totally aware that the current situation is far different from when I left, but I've got an adventurous spirit and am fortunate to have a support network of former colleagues still living in Egypt.
    I applied to two schools last year - just before the revolution - and by mid-March, both decided to hold off on hiring new teachers until they had a better idea of the impact the political situation would have on enrolment. In the end, one had to let several teachers go and the other hired locally - but not until August.
    Any ideas as to what hiring practice will be like this year? I see a few schools have already posted jobs, but it seems a bit quiet, no?

2. I taught in Cairo from 2000-2004 and am anxious to get back. Am totally aware that the current situation is far different from when I left, but I've got an adventurous spirit and am fortunate to have a support network of former colleagues still living in Egypt.
    I applied to two schools last year - just before the revolution - and by mid-March, both decided to hold off on hiring new teachers until they had a better idea of the impact the political situation would have on enrolment. In the end, one had to let several teachers go and the other hired locally - but not until August.
    Any ideas as to what hiring practice will be like this year? I see a few schools have already posted jobs, but it seems a bit quiet, no?

3. lottee1000

lottee1000 Occasional commenter

I agree, I usually notice that Cairo jobs come up very early, and there are few around at the moment. They may just be leaving it late so that people are more convinced that things have calmed down though (this was suggested to me by my current Head as a possibility).
    Follow on question- I am tempted to apply at the MESsy school, but next year I HAVE to save. CAn anyone tell me how possible this is in Cairo? I will be in the cheapest expat housing available (have given up desiring pools, tennis courts etc) and would probably go out once a week and eat local food. I'm aware it very much depends on lifestyle etc, but, if I was concetrating on saving money, could I feasibly save 1000 sterling per month? Anyone with any experience of the MESsy salary or saving in Egypt, it would be useful to hear from you! I can post salary details here if necessary, but would rather not (confidentiality, blah blah...) So if you know anything about the MES salary, please let me know. Thanks.

4. If you intend to live as frugally as some Egyptians do/can/have to, you can save a shedload of your packet.
    I don't work there but the package is good - I reckon you could save 2000 a month and still go out and have a bit of fun.
    Mind you, the downside is I have just had a fitting for my first burka, and I'm a pretty big lad I can tell you.

5. bigfatgit

bigfatgit New commenter

Not what Mrs Pharaoh says [​IMG]

6. Naughty boys!