1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling anyone who had an early scan at 6 or 7 weeks please!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy' started by sarah9, Apr 21, 2011.

1. Hello,
    I am only 4 weeks 4 days and today spoke to my wonderful GP who was very understanding about my mc last year. She has arranged for me to have an early scan at 6 weeks 3 days. Having googled it, it seems that you may or may not get a heartbeat at 6 weeks, has anyone experienced this? If there is no heartbeat but a visible fetal pole do they rebook you for a week or so later?
    Also, if you have an early scan does it mean that you don't get a 12 week scan and have to wait all the way to your 20 week scan?
    I would be so grateful for any replies. It's freaking me out a bit, especially as my due date is almost a year exactly after the one last year was, where I was so shocked to see an empty sac at the 12 week scan despite having a textbook pg, with awful sickness, sore boobs, no cramping, bleeding or sign that naything was wrong. Please don't let history repeat itself :(
    Sarah

2. no advice sarah, but wanted to say I remember you from last year. Wishing you all the best and hope you have a happier experience this time. x

3. I got a heartbeat with my wee girl at 6 weeks, but thik it is quite unusual as usually it is 7ish. However if you have a fetal pole etc they will just book you in for a week or so later normally. In my area (Scotland) you still get all regualr scans..in fact I had 10 in total deu to bleeding/reassurance. I know however that in some other areas if you have an early one they don't do 12 week one. However if they do nuchal testing in your area they would have to do a later one too x

4. Hi Sarah,
    I had an early scan at 6 and a bit weeks following a missed late miscarriage time before. I really understand how you feel, a very nervous time where you want to be really excited but also a bit scared. Firstly I really hope this one is all smiles for you.
    You'll still get a scan at 12 weeks and all the other scans as normal, I'm also now under shared care with the midwife and a hospital consultant so have had about 4 'extra' scans. The doctor scanned me at about 6 1/2 weeks on my tummy and couldn't find anything, he then did an internal scan (like a probe being inserted up me - not painful at all but I wished I'd known it may have been done). This scan found my little bean, with a heartbeat. I was even given the photo - a little baked bean shaped blob! I was warned that the pregnancy had as much chance as any other as 'lasting' but the reassurance I felt was much better. Now my baked bean is 33+ weeks and I can't wait to meet it! Good luck with everything. I'll have my fingers crossed for you.
    xx

5. I had a scan at 6 weeks and saw the egg sac, booked in for 8 weeks to see a heartbeat, yay.
    I had the normal 12 week dating scan- it was amazing to see how different she looked in those 4 weeks, no wonder I felt tired. From a flutter to a baby in just 4 weeks... amazing. You should get the 12 week scan, it is routine and the best scan for dating, you can also have the downs risk screen at this scan. (Can't remember what it is called)

Good luck

6. kittenjames

kittenjames New commenter

hi sarah, firstly congratulations! i had a mc last year too. i then fell pregnant again quickly with no cycle in between. i requested an early scan as i wasn't sure if it was a new pregnancy or i hadn't actually had a miscarriage. i had a scan at 6 wks (it was estimated as i had no cycle dates to go on). i saw what looked like a little cashew nut with a very fast heartbeat, the sonographer estimated i was around 6 weeks pregnant. it reassured me for a while but i was anxious throughout my pregnancy which i think is the legacy of a miscarriage unfortunately :-( i still got my scan as normal at 12 weeks (i even had one at 11 weeks when i was freaking out) and everything was fine. i really hope things work out for you, it's a terrifying time but try and get through each day and not think 'what if' constantly - easier said than done i know. good luck xx

7. Oh yes, I also had the probe up me for the two early scans, forgot about that. They tried the normal stomach ultrasound but couldn't see it. A little uncomfortable and undignified, but nothing compared to how many people see your bits for the birth!
    My daughter is a bouncing 8 month old now, but I remember being so scared for those scans. Keep us postedx

8. When I was pregnant with my daughter I had constant bleeding until 11 weeks. They managed to see the heartbeat at 5+4 I wasn't entirely sure of my dates which is why I got sent before 6 weeks. I was extremely lucky though and read up online and couldn't find anyone who had a heartbeat earlier. I then had another scan at 7+4 which was much clearer.

If I were you I would honestly try and get it put back a week. With the first scan I could see literally nothing even though the sonographer was adamant all was fine and clearly triumphant in a professional sense that she had seen it so early! At 7 weeks it was fab, I could see heartbeat and little stubby arms and legs. I found that more reassuring than being told by someone else. At 6 weeks you would probably need an internal scan by 7 weeks it is external. Internal is OK but some people worry about its effects. Also by nearly 8 weeks the outcomes are much more certain. More importantly if they can't see a heartbeat it will worry you to death for a week when everythibg is probably fine.

9. Chica77

Chica77 New commenter

I had bleeding quite early on in this pregnancy and i had a scan before 6 weeks i think, and they were able to see/hear the heart beating. I got a scan a couple of weeks later too, and then i had my 12 week scan as normal.

10. Hi Sarah, have replied to your PM.
    I had a scan at 6 weeks (internal)after a bit of spotting and lots of panicking over my previous miscarriage. Doesn't hurt at all. The sonographer found a tiny tiny blob, no heartbeat, and dated me a few days earlier than my dates at around 5 and a bit. They were very kind, understood my huge anxiety and said that i was pregnant but it was too early to see much and like looking for a needle in a haystack.
    2 weeks later at next internal scan- we saw more of a baby shape and a tiny heart.
    if your dates are even a tiny bit wrong at this stage, you won't see a heartbeat, but it doesn't mean you won't have a successful pregnancy so please try to stay positive and calm. hard I know.
    You will still have a 12 week scan as normal. All the best sarah. xxxx

11. Hi, good luck with your pregnancy.
    At the hospital I attend, they won't scan before 7 weeks because of not being able to see the heartbeat. I had to have an internal to be able to see baby and heartbeat.
    I was also offered one at 9 weeks, but declined as I have reservations about having too many early scans.
    However, you should still get a dating scan and your anomaly scan.
    Hope all goes well. xxx

12. I had a scan at just over 7 weeks becasue my dates were a bit mixed up and we saw a tiny jelly baby with a thundering heart beat. I've got my 12 week scan next week so you should get them both. I think it's because there's only a certain window for them to do some of the measurements. x

13. I think they can date accurately from around 7 weeks. The thing is that earlier scans are through epu and 12 weeks through ante natal clinic. Therefore probably partly due to lack of organisation ypu get offered 12 week regardless of how many you've had earlier.

14. spokeydokey

spokeydokey New commenter

I had quite a few early scans due to having two miscarriages. Had one at 4.5 weeks as soon as I found out I was pregnant and another at 6 weeks. Didn't see the heartbeat at either although they can tell if the pregnancy looks viable. Had another scan at 7ish weeks and saw the heartbeat 9such a relief) and then had the 12 week and 20 week scans as normal.

I now have a beautiful baby boy who is 19 days old [​IMG] Good luck with your pregnancy x

15. Firstly, congrats Sarah on your fantastic news. I am so pleased for you especially as you were wonderful when I was getting disheartened when ttc.
    I had a scan when I was 7wks and 2 days at a private place. It was great. Although all I could see was a few blobs (sac and baby) they were able to show me the heartbeat and I could also hear it through the machine. They measured and made sure all looked normal. Personally, I found it very reassuring and did not regret paying £80. It just made it feel more real and that all was going well. I have heard that at 6 weeks a heartbeat is often not seen unless you are further along than you thought.
    Maybe you could go for the scan at 6 weeks and if it is too early you could always book yourself in for a private scan a couple of weeks later. None of this will affect your 12 week scan and I am sure you will find it very reassuring.
    Love and congrats to you and I am sure all will be well this time around.

16. Many thanks to all of you for sharing your experiences and kind words. Hopefully at 6+3 they will at least be able to see if it's viable- I'd defo rather find out sooner rather than later. Good point about me defo getting a 12 week scan too due to the nuchal test, forgot about that.
    Have a great Easter weekend everyone,
    Sarah x

17. I had a scan at 8 weeks, due to a previous miscarriage. They saw a sack but believed it was empty and couldn't find a heartbeat so we were very pessimistic and were told to expect another miscarriage. However, a week later we returned and could see a kideney bean with legs and a heartbeat which was dated at 10 weeks! Absoltuely no idea what went wrong with the first scan but the consultant who did it rung and apologised for putting us through a week of hell!

18. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

I did Sarah. I had had six miscarriages previously and I have to say my care up until birth last summer was superb. I felt very looked after and had scans every 2 weeks from 6 weeks onwards - towards the end I was getting quite fed up of going :p I think there was a heartbeat at my first, but don't panic if there isn't, just keep yourself well and try and relax. Easy said I know... I didn't until I hit 35 weeks myself :-/ But she's here now and nearly 9 months old.... I sincerely hope you have a happy pregnancy :)

19. missjivebunny

missjivebunny New commenter

I'd like to echo Sarah's thanks to people who've replied to this thread - I've got a scan this week and going by their dates at my last early scan I'll be 6+4 (although I think I am 8 weeks today I am going by their dates). They said to me that they expect to see a heartbeat at this scan but I will try not to be too disheartened if there is not. At my last scan they said I was 4+3 and they could see the gestational sac, the yolk sac and a little line that was possibly the fetal pole. I'm really nervous about my scan on Tuesday as I've had bleeding (just spotting) on and off for the last two weeks.
    Congratulations Sarah and good luck with your scan. x

20. I know its easier said than done jive but please try not to stress about tje spotting. I had spotting for weeks with my 2 year old and they never found a cause. Everything was absolutely fine. It is awful dreading going to the toilet.