1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all year 4 teachers!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by littleonewants, May 15, 2011.

1. Hi there,

I really need some help from year 4 teachers please! I've got an interview lesson this week, it is teaching numeracy, any learning objective I like. I've decided to do a lesson on fractions. I want to do some kind of "pizza challenge" so I can make it fun and interactive for the children. I am not sure exactly where year 4 should be at this point in the year though, I don't know what level to pitch my lesson at as I have never taught year 4 before!

I was thinking of asking children to find 1/2's 1/3's, 1/4's of numbers. I'm going to make pizza's out of paper and split them into different fractions. Then i'm going to give children counters (pepperoni) that they have to find half/quarter of etc by sharing the counters equally on the different slices. I'm hoping that children will see that to find a half they need to divide by 2 and so on.

Is this going to be too easy?! It's so hard to know at what level the children will be working at as I've never met them!

Any advice would be really appreciated, many thanks.

2. Fractions are hard.
    Do something different. Try recording things on a chart eg bar graphs of how many times one person can score heads on a coin in a minute and recording class averages.

3. My maths set (years 3 and 4) love fractions.... however this is because it was broached in a positive challenging way (they love it when I say it is going to be hard).... I would be wary of it with an unknown class- especially without knowing their levels.

The average year 4 class you would expect them ALL to be able to find half then differentiation should take them through 1/3, 1/4,1/5, 1/10 (the times tables normally help with this). Lower group (assuming about a 2A ish- obv a wild stab in the dark!) should be able to find half and then half again to find a quarter. In my opinion you will have to really stretch the Year 4 if they are at the correct level- moving onto finding 3/5 etc rather than just one unit. You never know- they might applaud you for attempting a tricky topic. Good luck!!!

4. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

I have top set Maths and this would be very easy for them. Equivalent fractions, fractions of amounts and differrentiated.

5. I agree with the above poster- with my 2B- 3B set we spent last week doing equivalent to 1/2 (level 3 work) moving my top group to equivalent to 1/3. I would ring the school and see if they would le you have a rough estimate of math levels in the class. Can't help to ask!!

6. I've sent you a message!

7. greenpaddy

greenpaddy New commenter

What about a maths investigation task - look at the nrich site.

8. Hi,

I would personally steer clear of fractions if I were you. Investigations or open-ended puzzle activities would definitely be a safer bet. One of the best y4 lessons i had observed was a properties of numbers investigation. Easy to differentiate and as challenging as they make it.

I'll try and dig out my plan for you.

Becky x

9. Me again,

Can't find my original plan but it was based on a Dave Kirkby properties game from the Math Sticks website. I changed it slightly to be more challenging. Anyway, theres loads of good ideas here:

http://www.mathsticks.com/category/tags/number-properties

Hope this helps x