1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all Year 1 teachers (and future Year 1 teachers)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by kym131218, Jul 2, 2012.

1. kym131218

kym131218 New commenter

Hello,
    I am heading all the way down to Year 1 in September! I can't wait I am sooooo excited.
    However, after not ever teaching Year 1 I am a little stumped about what activities to do on transition day. I am having 3 whole days across the next couple of weeks where I will meet my new class.

I have found endless amounts of activities for KS2 and Year 2 to do but I can't find anything for transition from reception to Year 1. I am aware that some children will find writing difficult and some other act ivities that you can do in KS1.
    Does anybody, PLEASE, have an endless list of appropriate activities I can do with my new class that is motivating, exciting and something that I can put on display? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. I have some ideas but not enough. I just don't know what to do.
    With any ideas posted, I am going to make a reception to Year 1 transition book of activities for other people to use as there is not alot out there.

Thanks in advance
    Mika

2. kym131218

kym131218 New commenter

Hello,
    I am heading all the way down to Year 1 in September! I can't wait I am sooooo excited.
    However, after not ever teaching Year 1 I am a little stumped about what activities to do on transition day. I am having 3 whole days across the next couple of weeks where I will meet my new class.

I have found endless amounts of activities for KS2 and Year 2 to do but I can't find anything for transition from reception to Year 1. I am aware that some children will find writing difficult and some other act ivities that you can do in KS1.
    Does anybody, PLEASE, have an endless list of appropriate activities I can do with my new class that is motivating, exciting and something that I can put on display? PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE. I have some ideas but not enough. I just don't know what to do.
    With any ideas posted, I am going to make a reception to Year 1 transition book of activities for other people to use as there is not alot out there.

Thanks in advance
    Mika

3. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

I would love, love to read this!

I'm going to do a friendship painting (probably, we are going to discuss tomorrow what to do). You need a long piece of paper (big enough to cover your display board) and children arrange themselves round the edges and start to paint a pattern. When you start to play music they move around and keep moving until the music stops when they carry on painting in their new spot. And keep going until the paper is as covered as you would like it to be.

I'm hoping to be able to tell them what September's topic will be and start a 'what would you like to find out?' type thing. And for them to make a front cover for their topic book.

I was thinking about doing some copy writing. So I give them something like 'My name is Minnie' in dotted writing at the top of the page. They trace it. Then write it underneath on a line. Then keep writing it on every narrower lines. This will give me a good clue of who can write at all and who has good fine motor skills and so will be able to write the things I need to the classroom display. (But it doesn't sound terribly exciting!)

Last year (coming in to year 2) children were given squares from a 100square cut up and decorated them to make a class 100 square. Odd red based and evens yellow based. Am thinking this year's class could do similar to make a number track from 0 - 30 (or however many in the class).

I won't be in my own room, so am a bit limited...all ideas from other people gratefully received by me too. I know what you mean about there being loads and loads for older ones. Not sure 'making a passport' will quite work!

4. kym131218

kym131218 New commenter

What a lovely idea!!!

My book is now being started. WHen I have 10 or more ideas I will put this book on my resource page and add to it periodically.

5. I have been teaching year 1 for the past two years and there are a couple of activities I have always done with them which work really well...
    1) make "helping hands" -children draw around their hand (with some help, then write their name on using a felt tip then decorate with pencil crayons. I then cut out and laminate these and use them when I choose my two helping hands each day to take the register/ hand things out in class/ be special helpers for the day.
    2) I print the childrens names on drawer labels using an outline font to the appropriate size for the children to decorate with glitter and crayons etc and again I laminate them for their drawers in September. Same could be done for peg labels I guess.
    3) decorating sticker books to keep in their drawers for September
    4) draw a self portrait and write their name and maybe a sentence about themselves to go up as a quick display in new classroom so they have something that they have made - this is a good evaluation of skills and can be repeated across the year to show progression...
    thats all I can think of for now. I also let them explore the new classroom through play, especially if they are doing a lot of self-initiated learning in Reception
    Hope this helps!

6. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Love these ideas...
    I was hoping to do that, but I won't be having transition day in my own classroom, so am unsure about allowing this.

7. Great thread, I'm needing inspiration too!
    I like minnie's idea to paint to the music - I am going into my new school tomorrow though, and not sure if I can organise paint, etc before school starts.
    The current class teacher said she gives the children ovals to represent their faces, which they can decorate with pencils, pens, bits cut out and stuck on for hair. I read somewhere else about using the children's handprints to make leaves for a tree, as part of a friendship/ Autumn display.
    I'm also going to take photos to use on pegs or a birthday display :)

8. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Heyyy wasn't mine. I take no credit, I read it on here. And I saw an example done by BA trainees at the local university when I was there for a course. Not sure year ones' will be quite as brilliant!

9. I have read it somewhere before, but you jogged my memory. Thank you for the suggestion though! Maybe something to do later when I know them better - could create a great Christmas snowscape that way!

10. kym131218

kym131218 New commenter

Hello again, I have found some good ideas and started putting it into a booklet.There is 3 pages so far. keep them coming in so I can add more and update the booklet. It is now available in my resources.
    [​IMG]

11. SO happy I found this thread.
    I too am moving to Year 1 in September.
    Some great ideas here. Will definitely add to my hotlist and look at your resources kym131218.
    Was thinking of some kind of self potrait and name writing activity so I have an instant display for September.
    Feeling very excited and enthused having read this, but also still scared/nervous/etc. I've only ever taught KS2!!!!!
    :)

12. Kartoshka

Kartoshka Established commenter

I read this idea the other day: make a seasons birthday display. For autumn you could do red/orange/yellow/brown handprints for falling leaves. For winter you could do a cotton wool snowman. For spring you could do flowers somehow. For summer you could do a beach scene. Label with the months, or stick up children's names and dates of birth. It would look lovely and would be educational (reinforcing order of the months, which month is in which season).
    I did a suitcase activity with my new Year 1 (and 2) class last year. I brought in a suitcase with five objects in it that would tell the children something about me - eg. a book because I like reading. They loved seeing what I'd put inside and it got them talking a little about why each thing was in there. I then went on to get them to draw some things inside a picture of their suitcase; but if you have three days, you could do your suitcase on the first day and then invite the children to bring their own suitcase in the next day for everyone to look at and talk about. It would be a great way to get to know the children - wish I could do it this year!

13. Hi Mika,

I'm KS2 but my colleague in Y1/2 last year got the children to do something called Fantasticats which looked brilliant.

Each child has an outline of a cat - vary them to make an interesting display, e.g. sitting, walking, climbing, lying - and writes on it what they are 'fantastic at' (geddit?), then colours in the other side to make it look like a cat. My colleague displayed them on a washing line in September. You can differentiate as much as you need to - put the phrase 'I am fantastic at...' on the board, write it on the cats for the children to complete the sentence with as much detail as they are able, or even scribe for some children who are really low ability. Makes a gorgeous display and will be helpful in seeing the children's writing ability and what they think of their own abilities.

Can be adapted for older children too; my other colleague in Year 5/6 had some wonderfully detailed Fantasticats!