1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all Year 1 experts! - how do you monitor the work produced in enhanced provision?

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sonrisa:), Apr 11, 2012.

1. Hi All,
    We have just moved into our newly built Year 1 classrooms and are finally able to set up the rooms properly with areas for continuous and enhanced provision (something we have been wanting to do propely for years now!)
    We have only been up and running with this for 2 weeks and have set up and labelled our areas and included challenges on talking tins for children to complete throughout the week. However I am now faced with the challenge of how you monitor/record the work that the children produce in the enhanced provision?
    Do you tend to photograph this/ set up challenge boxes for children to place their work once it is finished/ complete a tick sheet?
    I want to make this manegeable so that the children can get on independently in the areas whilst the adults work with groups but done in such a way that children know that they need to complete the challenges (and not spend all week with the cars and lego which some of them would happily do!)
    Any help with this would be greatly appreciated as I have spent ages looking this up on the internet/forum sites and not seemed to get anywhere. I am feeling very untrained on the art of continuous provision!
    Thanks in advance for your help!

2. comenius

comenius New commenter

By each challenge there is a grid with children's names on. When they have done the challenge they put a smiley face by their name.
    If the challenge has produced a piece of work then they put it in a tray on the side to be shared with everyone later. If the challenge is practical e.g. building something in construction then the children either name and label it and leave on the side or they take a photograph of it that I can print out later.
    I have a challenge wall where examples of work are displayed each week and I try to make sure we look at the work done each day.
    If the challenge is maths or english based then it is filed away with their other work but I put a 'ch' in corner so we know its challenge work because I don't mark it. Any other work I photocopy/print photos of one example from HA, MA and LA and keep them in the class challenge book, then they get sent home.

3. warmandfuzzy

warmandfuzzy New commenter

This sounds fab, and it's something I've wanted to sort out for ages in my mixed year1/rec class....just wish I had a week (or even a day!) of PPA in my classroom next week without children so I could sort it out. Have spent two days in school this holiday (quite enough, thank you!) but didn't get around to the challenges! :-(

4. That is brilliant comenius, thanks very much for taking the time to explain the different methods you use.
    I like the idea of the children taking their own photo of their work, I'm sure this encourages children to get creative if they know they can photo the finished product themselves. The challenge book is a good way to keep a record of the challenges completed over the year too without drowining in a sea of paper!
    I'm looking forward to putting these things in place.
    Thanks again

5. Warmand fuzzy I know what you mean! You could easily spend a week trying to sort out the classroom to fit in all of your ideas. 2 days is plenty in the holidays though! Enjoy the rest of the Easter break