1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all wannabe interior designers...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by impulce, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Im twiddling my thumbs waiting for a moving date to move into my first 'proper' home (ie not rented) and am starting to get some ideas about what to do with the rooms.
    The house has had an elderly couple living in it and therefore is quite old fashioned and needs redecorating, so is pretty much a blank canvas. The living room has a feature fireplace with dark green tiles around it which I quite like, and I would like to decorate the living room in keeping with this. I am thinking of a monochrome colourscheme on the whole, with green bits and bobs. (I cant stand lime or olive green, but I like nice deep dark rich green). Id quite like a grey sofa (white is impractical and black seems a bit too dark) such as this:
    http://www.dfs.co.uk/sofas/fabric-sofas/katrina/
    I dont like modern style sofas as they are uncomfortable and I like to slouch on them, but we do have a black glass topped coffee table, and a modern black TV stand.
    Can this be done or it it just too many boxes to tick? I like the idea of a wood floor (or some cheaper version of!) with a rug. Any ideas/inspiration?!

2. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

How much natural light with the room have?
    I don't see a problem with the ideas you've suggested, I'd want plain walls (I think).

3. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

4. ihave 2 black sofas ad they aren't as dark as you would imagine (sounds daft) both from dfs. The one you picked out i have a very similar style and the loose cushions are highly irritating. so when i bought the second one the requirement was not to have those loose cushions.

i am currently lounging on the one in this link (in black) and it's so comfy

http://www.dfs.co.uk/sofas/fabric-sofas/embrace/

5. This is the room:
    http://media.rightmove.co.uk/10k/9028/31569299/9028_MVS3N12988_IMG_02_0000_max_620x414.jpg
    It is bigger than it looks and comes out towards the camera quite a bit more.
    The sofa from Habitat I couldnt deal with - cant stand the feel of velvet!!
    And yes, we've learnt our lesson about loose cushion backed sofas - this one drives me mad! Will definately go for formal back with scatter cushions this time.

6. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

It seems to have loads of light so a dark sofa + coffee table + tv stand would be fine.

7. What colour walls would you go for? Cream/beige? I liked the idea of a 'feature wall' with some form of wallpaper.

8. Want!

9. Lots of light so black sofa could work with light walls

10. marshypops

marshypops New commenter

I think a pale cream (I know but it can vary in shade mightily), and TBH I'd avoid a feature wall as I think what you'll have will be a big enough feature. Live with the arrangement for 6 months/ a year and if you still want a feature wall then go for it.

11. It's a nice big room impulce, with two windows, so lots of natural light.
    My only reservation would be that your colour scheme might look a bit cold - white walls can look stark and unfriendly unless they are jazzed up with interesting bits and pieces.
    Coloured cushions, unusual object d'art and large (original?) pieces or art would make it more interesting and dare I say it, homely.

12. What is the fireplace surround made of? Is it just painted timber? I'd think about making that fireplace a bit more interesting/splashy/whatever. Pale walls with a deeper cream around those nice deep green tiles?
    Love the windows. What are you thinking of for curtains, blinds, shutters?

13. Id ideally like shutters or blinds for the windows.
    I think the fireplace surround is painted timber though im not sure. Weve got to be a careful money wise so it will be a case of getting the floor/walls sorted then everything else will have to follow at a later date. Thankyou for all the ideas!

14. littlemissraw

littlemissraw Occasional commenter

15. lindenlea

lindenlea Star commenter

A feature wall will fix your room in 2010 / 11 for evermore. We love our plain walls - previous owners had them skimmed, and have vowed never to hang another inch of wallpaper.
    Nice room btw. John Lewis has lovely rugs that would go on a nice oak floor - or are the existing floorboards good enough to renovate.

16. I would do a feature wall with paint/colour rather than wallpaper which will date very quickly. Paint will be much quicker/easier to change when you can no longer stand it!

17. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

Do you have to pay for it in five years time?

18. Id love a real oak floor but its going to have to be wood effect laminate. That carpet has GOT to go and we dont have the money for anything too expensive! Not sure about the quality of the floorboards as we've not been round it since our offer was accepted.