1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all Star Wars afficionados

Discussion in 'Personal' started by rustybug, Apr 7, 2012.

1. We thought this holiday it may be fun to "discover" the Star Wars movies. We have borrowed some, but are in a muddle about what order they're supposed to be watched in.
    We have got II, III, IV, V and VI. My husband thinks that you should watch them in release order, which is IV then V then VI, and I, II and III last, as they are prequels, released later.
    This would work nicely because we haven't got I, and you can't seem to buy it.
    For the avoidance of confusion (haha, we're very confused) the ones we have are:
    II Attack of the Clones
    III Revenge of the Sith
    IV A New Hope
    V The Empire Strikes Back
    VI Return of the Jedi
    My husband's theory is supported slightly by the fact that II and III look different from the rest, their writing is in gold, while the rest are in silver.
    So, should we watch IV tonight? Will we know what's going on, or will we be confused by not having prior knowledge?

2. We thought this holiday it may be fun to "discover" the Star Wars movies. We have borrowed some, but are in a muddle about what order they're supposed to be watched in.
    We have got II, III, IV, V and VI. My husband thinks that you should watch them in release order, which is IV then V then VI, and I, II and III last, as they are prequels, released later.
    This would work nicely because we haven't got I, and you can't seem to buy it.
    For the avoidance of confusion (haha, we're very confused) the ones we have are:
    II Attack of the Clones
    III Revenge of the Sith
    IV A New Hope
    V The Empire Strikes Back
    VI Return of the Jedi
    My husband's theory is supported slightly by the fact that II and III look different from the rest, their writing is in gold, while the rest are in silver.
    So, should we watch IV tonight? Will we know what's going on, or will we be confused by not having prior knowledge?

3. I'd watch them in release order and then stop at Jedi. The prequels are pretty poor. If you do watch them all, still go for release order.

4. catmother

catmother Star commenter

The original ones are the best.

5. kittylion

kittylion Established commenter

The original ones are the best (the last three) but in terms of plot you should perhaps watch them in numerical order.

However, there was a good reason that they originally started at number 4 - the stories are better.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous New commenter

George Lucas has really mucked them around. The originals were the best but then he went and digitised them, added CGI to them, put in extra scenes - why? He had a perfectly good product. I saw the Death Star exploding on You Tube and didn't rermember a ring in the explosion.
    I've only seen episode 1 of the new lot - long winded, complicated and annoying characters. Did not bother with the rest. The reason the original worked was the effects were great and the story was simple to grasp. Evil empire builds Death Star. Good people are fighting back.

7. Thanks, episode four it will be then!

8. The second one is mince but the last one is better. I reckon there were two good movies in there but they had to draw them out to three to make a trilogy and to add in some irritating merchandising opportunities.

9. Nanny Ogg

Nanny Ogg New commenter

I sat and watched Robot Chicken Star Wars last night on SyFi. Laughed my head off. Puppets playing different scenes from the films in no particular order. I think it was by Seth ? who does Family Guy. Much beter than watching the 'new' films.

Edit - Can't spell.