1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all SLD/PMLD teachers...

Discussion in 'Special educational needs' started by raggedstaff, Aug 15, 2019.

1. raggedstaff

raggedstaff New commenter

Afternoon all.

I start a new job in September. I have some experience with SEN, mostly MLD and EBD (or SEMH these days).

My new class is much more SLD, including some who are non-verbal. They are a great bunch, and I'm looking forward to working with them, albeit with some apprehension.

We have two days off timetable, as "settling in", when we return, and I will admit to being a bit stuck with what to do during these two days.

Any suggestions gratefully received; indeed, any encouraging words from those who have also changed to teaching SLD/PMLD would be great!

Cheers all.

2. dzil

dzil Occasional commenter

What chronological age are your students?
    I usually do lots of getting to know each other and getting to know rules, routines and expectations type games and activities. eg drama games, thinking and problem solving games, give a strange object and ask them to mime what it could be (after a demonstration) copy me games and things like "you are going to draw a picture, what will you need? where will you find it? ok do it" then when done "where do you put it" type activities and lots of matching and sorting stuff so I can get a feel of what they are capable of. And my favorite - a sensory story with related activities to explore.