1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all sewers...

Discussion in 'Personal' started by anon3372, Jan 12, 2012.

1. You know when none of your friends have a clue but you have something fiddly that needs a bit of pinning/tacking as you can't reach those bits yourself - how on earth do you explain to them how/where to pin and/or tack without almost ruining the friendship and finding yourself hyper-ventilate?
    I always used to rely on Mum to pin and tack me - none of my friends can sew on a button, never mind sew or alter clothes.
    I am really in a quandry [​IMG]

2. Sorry to be of no help whatsover,but in my overtired state I came here wondering why you wanted to talk to sewage pipes.

3. [​IMG]

4. lilachardy

lilachardy Star commenter

Can you get someone else to wear it whilst you pin?

Is anyone similar enough?

5. joli2

joli2 New commenter

Get a dressmaker's stand, or pin it on yourself by trial and error - pinch fabric, pin, take off and straighten pins, try on again and repeat, getting very hot and bothered.

6. Good Lordy - no, no, no [​IMG]

7. v12

v12

Oh. Now I understand! Sew-ers. Shouldn't that be seamstresses, then?
    Being a mere bloke - I can't quite see the problem - we are frequently required to hang our dignity on the peg outside the tailor shop, what with inside leg measurements, and "on which side do you dress, Sir?"
    Or am I missing something?

8. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

Not much help in the short term, but one of those figure form things (just got the term dressmaker's dummy) that you adjust to your own measurements and then you can put the garment on and adjust yourself are a definite idea.If you have the room.
    Other idea is to put the garment on your friend and you pin and tack, but you need to find a friend of a similar size. Do it in front of a mirror and let them see how you pin and tack. Then swap and they adjust it for you?

9. CQ, do you remember those 'puffers on a stand' you used to get in Germany? Thepuffer part had a coloured powder in it, and you had to move it up or down on the stand according to the desired length of the garment, and then squeeze a plastic 'bulb' on a longer pipe that puffed the powder onto the garment as you slowly turned full circle. You then had a perfectly marked out straight line which was your guide to pinning.

10. LOL - yes, that is about the size of it (pardon the pun).
    Length is not too difficult, as I know exactly what lengths to use - it is trying to get darts in the right place and adjust trousers at the back that are downright frustrating.

11. Oh, yes! Not seen one of those in years, but I bet they still exist.
    But that doesn't help with taking in trousers that are too wide around the waist. Drat.

12. Just put item to make/adjust next to/on top of existing item that fits. Pin/tack as needed.

13. V12 - what do they mean when they ask you which side you dress?

14. I would take your trousers to a dress maker -alterations don't cost too much and you'll have perfect results.

15. I do with bought ones for my suits.
    But she ain't too keen when I take my own sewn ones in. She is brill but a completely temperamental Greek diva - she goes off on one saying "Why didn't you get ME to sew them in the first place?".
    She is lovely, really. But if she has Null Bock, you don't stand a chance.
    And even when I take my suit trews in, she will start muttering..."Where on earth did you buy these rags? Just look at that seam..."
    Greek. Fussy. Loud. [​IMG]

16. v12

v12

Whether your membrum virile tends to incline to the left or right side.
    It can be rather uncomfortable if one's bits are forced, through the wrong cut of trouser, on to the wrong side - let me tell you!

17. Cestrian

Cestrian New commenter

Is there any link to whether you are left-handed or right-handed? Just curious................. [​IMG]

18. v12

v12

I'm totally ambidextrous - (in even months I write with my right hand and odd months with my left hand - the children love it!), and although it seems to have a mind of its own sometimes, it does prefer one side over the other!
    [​IMG]