1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all school council coordinators!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by fleurtooby, Aug 7, 2012.

1. Hi all - i'm looking for some help!
    We want to develop a new free tool kit for schools to use with their school councils to explore the topic of sustainable travel. To make sure it's as useful as possible I wanted to ask whether any of you have any experience in this area or running school council projects in general?
    • Would template/sample resources of what other schools have done be useful?
    • Would curriculum links be useful?
    • Would a supporting PowerPoint be useful; either to show other staff or one for the school council itself?
    • How long does the average school council project last? How many weeks/sessions?
    • Would accompanying lesson ideas be useful?
    I think you probably get the general idea!

Many thanks in eager anticipation of your thoughts!

2. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Not sure our school council would ever do a project on sustainable travel...they have more school based things to focus on.

3. Middlemarch

Middlemarch Star commenter

I don't know what sustainable travel is.

4. minnieminx

minnieminx New commenter

Walking probably...but I can't sustain that for my 11 mile journey each way!

5. We have been supporting sustainable journeys (basically encouraging parents to walk, or park away from school and 'stride') for years as part of Ecoschools and our now defunct LA safer journeys project. There is a whole section on transport on the Ecoschools Award criteria so any extra information you can provide would be helpful - you probably already know that the Ecoschools Award has to be led by the children via an Ecoschools Council. I have done this for the last several years via my after school club but I will be running the school council from September and I see this as a good opportunity to have whole school input on environmental issues. We also run the 'Walk to School' events in May and October - our focus on more sustainable journeys to school has increased the number of parents car sharing and quite a few parents also now 'park and stride' from the village hall which is about 5 minutes away. This reduces the congestion at the school gates at drop-off and pick up times, making the entrance to school safer. I think any of your support materials would be useful - please let us know on here what is available! [​IMG]

6. Thanks Jeangenie [​IMG]
    It's great to hear about all the work you've already been doing - we know there are some schools out there working hard to engage pupils on these wider issues and integrating learning into lessons too, so we just want to make it as easy as possible for schools to do this.
    The idea with the tool kit is that a school council coordinator, or after-school club, could pick up the kit and be led through a project that would provide them with suggested activities to engage the whole school. It would also include ideas that could be used in the classroom to complement the school council work, such as traffic counts, survey analysis (bar charts, pie charts etc), as well as links with external organisations that could contribute.
    We hope it will be flexible enough, so that schools could use it for a week a high-intensity activity, such as Walk to School Week, or across a half-term or term too.
    I'd be happy to send you more details if you're interested? We plan to make the tool kit free to download online and also a number of hard-copies to send to 'contributing' schools if you are interesed in 'shaping' the resource and sharing best practice?
    Anybody else have experience of running similar projects or campaigns?