1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all RE teachers!

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by joey20, Aug 26, 2012.

1. I have just found out I'm teaching Re to a bottom set yr.10 and yr,11 class. I have never taught this subject before and am feeling apprehensive to say the least. I have been told I am going to be given a textbook and other things, and luckily (for me) the classes won't be actually sitting an exam, so that is a big weight lifted. Although this makes me think that it's going to be even more difficult getting the kids to work/be motivated if they're not getting a qualification at the end of it?! I've been informed they are a very 'lively' bunch. Apart from locating some fab resources that are available on TES, is there anything else I can be doing? It doesn't help that I don't know which topics they're doing! Help?!!!

2. I have just found out I'm teaching Re to a bottom set yr.10 and yr,11 class. I have never taught this subject before and am feeling apprehensive to say the least. I have been told I am going to be given a textbook and other things, and luckily (for me) the classes won't be actually sitting an exam, so that is a big weight lifted. Although this makes me think that it's going to be even more difficult getting the kids to work/be motivated if they're not getting a qualification at the end of it?! I've been informed they are a very 'lively' bunch. Apart from locating some fab resources that are available on TES, is there anything else I can be doing? It doesn't help that I don't know which topics they're doing! Help?!!!

3. Miss Gomez01

Miss Gomez01 New commenter

You are doing the right thing, there are some fab resources on here (well done for everyone for sharing)
    Have you looked into taking your group on an educational trip, this could build up good relations with them, they could do some research before the trip!
    Good luck with everything.

4. Geoff Thomas

Geoff Thomas Star commenter

Maybe a good idea to copy your post in the Religious education forum?

Good luck.

5. Try to relate the topics in your text books to issues on the soaps and films are an excellent resource.
    Invictus was enjoyed by my year 10/11s as part of 'sport and religion' and teachings about apartheid and equal rights.
    Mary

6. hammie

hammie Lead commenter

will the school agree to this for a non-exam group with all the other demands on their time and parental income?