1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling All Parents- Your Help Needed!

Discussion in 'Music' started by kcoleman22, Mar 4, 2011.

1. Hiya,
    I am currently running a piece of research on the lack of boys that choose to take part in singing at primary school level as part of my dissertation. I am looking to find out what factors are preventing boys from singing and how we can counteract these. I would like to get a parents perspective on this and would be very grateful for a few moments of your time to complete a questionnaire for which you can find the link below. Also if you have any friends/relatives that are parents of primary age children, would you be able to pass the link along?
    Thanks in advance,
    Kayleigh Coleman

Parent Questionnaire Link
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/PM3FLSW

2. midnightoil

midnightoil New commenter

Although your are concerned with Primary school level, you really must look at this website http://www.martin-ashley.com/ and if you ever get a chance to attend a lecture byt him then GO!; it will be most illuminating. Much of his work is to do with breaking voices but he is also concerned that songs teachers use in schools are at the wrong pitch for boys.

3. midnightoil

midnightoil New commenter

I do know the difference between your and you're; ignore the extra 'r'. [​IMG]

4. florian gassmann

florian gassmann Star commenter

There's a lot of good sense on that website. When I started teaching, I followed the principles of George Malcolm at Westminster Cathedral and Jonathan Steele of The London Boy Singers (not to mention Bach in Leipzig) of encouraging boys with changing voices to slip down to alto parts, and then to tenor. Some preferred to slip straight down to bass (but most found anything below tenor C too low). The important thing is to keep them singing, just as games teachers keep their pupils playing, even though their body mass and muscular strength is changing dramatically.