1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all NQT Mentors! (or recent NQTs!)

Discussion in 'Primary' started by annap3, Sep 21, 2015.

1. annap3

annap3 New commenter

I'm shortly giving a presentation to a group of NQTs from the perspective of a mentor. I'm covering the usual ways to utilise NQT time, collect evidence, anecdotes from experiences with previous NQTs etc. What other, less obvious aspects could I mention? (I'm pretty low on the 'humour factor' at the moment!)

2. lillipad

lillipad New commenter

Speaking from experience of the last time I mentored an NQT, the importance of remaining professional; i.e.- writing professional reflections and not complaining when you're going to be observed to anyone and everyone who will listen. The importance of taking your observations seriously and not just thinking that because it's not the head observing that it doesn't matter or count for anything. In other words, remembering that although you have a job, you still need to work at a certain level and you still need to pass!

3. Gerbils150

Gerbils150 New commenter

Hopefully you are able to say that, as a mentor, you have a bottomless box if tissues and broad shoulders for your mentee to cry on.

4. Sillow

Sillow Lead commenter

I saw an NQT presentation when I finished my training and the NQT included a couple of funny pictures/sentences some kids had done over the year. She also showed a photo of the inside of her diary at the beginning of the year and at the end - showing how busy she felt before she learnt to manage her time so well.

5. princess77

princess77 New commenter

I was a mentor last year. I gave the NQTs some of the advice from Sue Cowley http://www.suecowley.co.uk/100-tips-for-nqts.html

I told the NQTs to make the most of the courses on offer, observe more experienced teachers in subjects they wanted to and we created a termly plan for use of NQT release time. It worked well. The termly sheets provided evidence towards the termly reports and showed how much they had achieved each term. Feedback from lesson observations was honest and constructive criticism was taken on board. Referring to that the following lesson when it had been acted upon was appreciated by the NQTs too.