1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all mainscale full-time teachers!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by lilachardy, Jan 21, 2011.

1. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

40 hours in school, 5 hours at home. I must point out, some people seem to count actual hours AT school, but perhaps not all of these hours are spent working?

2. When I started teaching in the mis 70s it was a much more social job. I was one of a dozen 'probationers' we had all recently finished our PGCE and were child and mortgage free. We would have a chat and a laugh in the staffroom first thing. There was no briefing just a daily info sheet in the pigeon holes. I would always spend morning and afternoon breaks in the staffroom and also the whole of lunch. The staffroom was a busy, fun place. I saw a lot of my colleagues socially as well. I would work for a couple of hours most evenings and another couple at the weekend.
    In my last year of teaching I rarely left my teaching room. I would arrive at 7.30 go to my room. Work til briefing. Then it was in my room all day (except for trips to the toilet) working through all breaks. Most days there were catch up sesions sometimes until 6.30. I tended not to work in the evenings. However I took Saturday morning off and worked the rest of the weekend. It was a miserable job, there was an unspoken subplot in the school, that however hard you worked it was not enough. The staff were forever at logger heads with one another. We had to have social events, so the hod could tick them off for one of her targets. They were joyless occasions when people, who spent all their time looking for opportunities to get their colleagues into trouble, had to pretend to like one another.
    I do not miss any of this.

3. Lardy legs, I reckon most of us a quite efficient, although, I know our staff room has teachers who whine when they have an 7 period day and a lunch time session, but then spend 30 minutes in a day whining about how much they have to do!

I spend an average of 50 hours in school a week and 37.5 hours of teaching. I have two areas of responsibility and will usually do at least another 5 hours a week at home. I reckon over a week I spend 3.5 hours of my 7 allocated hours for break and lunch times actually having some down time.

But isn't this hard work a trade off for the huge amount of holiday time we get in comparison to 'normal' jobs? I would relinquish my holiday allowance!

4. Victoria Plum

Victoria Plum New commenter

Definitely. But it's a good job we do get that trade off because if I went much longer than 7 weeks without having a week off to get on top of paperwork and sort out that untidy classroom, get up to date with displays, etc and do assessments I would burn out. I'm always on my knees by about week 6. And I'm never quite sure whether it's just that I'm getting a bit older (but surely not, I'm only 35 after all!!) or if it's the nature of the job that's changed) because it only seems to have got like this over the last few years.

5. I'm a bit concerned that it is only week 2 and I am already on my knees!The weekends make me feel a bit miserable because although I rarely do any work I am so exhausted I literally can't do anything else!

6. 60 hours, I am a HOF in the middle of options and exam entry hell this week.
    I have another 5-6 hours to do updating my development plan and faculty development.

Of those hours I spend 20 hours in a room with kids, and 10 hours (2 each evening) planning and resoucring lessons. So you can split the main scale bit out. I am not very efficient in the evening as often I am on here too.

7. egyptgirl

egyptgirl Senior commenter

I'm not counting the week that has just gone because I was off work ill. A normal week though...
    I have a commute so I tend to leave the house around 7am and work on the train to school for around 8.30am. I work all the way through my free periods and breaks/lunch - I like to take physically as little as possible home with me because it only means I'll have to drag it back with me again the following day! I leave school at around 4pm due to train times. If I left it any later, I wouldn't be home until well after 8pm. I work on the train home. When I'm at home I normally work for around one and a half hours, although at busier times of the year it can be up to 3 hours - Friday night I don't do anything at all.On a weekend, I spend a couple of hours planning. I guess it adds up to about 55 hours most weeks.

8. fantastischfish

fantastischfish Established commenter

This sounds pretty much like me.
    I arrive in school for around 7.30am and work at my desk/getting my classroom set up until the kid start to arrive at 8.20am. Then I go to briefing if there is one (two days and week) or do morning duty (once a week).
    I teach 23-23 hours per week, getting an hour's PPA on Tuesdays and one on Fridays (extra one week two on Thurs) during which I try to mark as much as I can because I hate taking marking home.
    At lunchtime I eat my lunch with my colleagues, but then go back to my room to potter about answering emails, setting work for excluded pupils and other 'bitty' jobs that need sorting.
    After school, I generally try to plough through as much marking as I can, thoguh often find myself getting distracted by jobs that come up during the day and need attending to (you know, the sort of jobs that are suddenly given by SMT and various others, all of whom think that THEIR job is the most important).
    I generally leave school at around 5pm, although sometimes as late as 6pm. I come home, eat dinner and relax for a bit. I usually bring home some more marking, my planner and diary with the intention of doing more at home, but it rarely happens unless I'm in a sudden fit of work-frenzy. During busy times, like mock exams, I stay in school later and mark instead of coming home where it, invariably, never gets done.
    Most weekends, I intend to get work done, but seldom do by the time I've been to the supermarket, cleaned the house, gone to the gym, visist family, had a night out with friends/my boyfriend, gone to my parents' for Sunday lunch etc. Sunday evening comes around and I usually try to cram in as much planning as I can.
    My classroom is a mess; my books are never completely up-to-date; I can't remember the last time I updated the SIMs tracking sheet for KS3 assessments; I haven't sorted out my year 11 coursework folder in weeks; my lesson planning tends to happen day-to-day, lessons are sometimes completely off-the-cuff; I haven't marked last term's year 8 reading assessments yet....the list goes on.
    That said, I think I'm a pretty good teacher. I guess all the stuff I don't do is probably not that important since the world doesn't appear to have crumbled yet and my classes' results are looking pretty good at present.

9. fantastischfish

that's 22-23...

10. And I meant to say I WOULDNT relinquish my holiday time.....
    You know what you sign up for when you start teaching and it is a career decision

11. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

Is it wonder many teachers end up divorced or alone?.you dont have time to have a life till you retire!.and by then your to knackered.

12. fantastischfish

I agree to an extent. However, earlier posters have said how much the job has changed since they entered teaching. Clearly, from earlier descriptions, the job has become more pressurised and more demanding over time. I certainly feel like more is required of me in just the 8 short years since I started teaching. Seems like there's something new that becomes 'my responsibility' every week, yet no extra time is actually allowed for this.
    An example would be the introduction of Achievement for All at my school. I am now expected to mentor two pupils, meeting with them once per months to discuss progress, set targets etc. I'm also expected to follow up by ensuring support is put into place for these pupils. In addition, I have to meet with parents once per term to discuss progress and the parents' feelings/ideas about their child and their future. Where does this time come from? Alledgedly it fits into the 1265 hours of directed time. However, by my calculations, these are all already accounted for through teaching hours, parents' evenings, open evenings and so on.

13. The job I left 2 years ago bore very little resemblance to the job that I thought that I was training for when I signed up for my PGCE in 1975.
    I am sure that many posters on this forum feel the same. Hence the degree of disatisfaction.

14. I agree with you OTTER, and also with your previous post.

15. 8.2am -6 .00pm Mon - Fri used to be enough to keep on top of things. With individual targets etc I'm now doing quite a bit extra on weekends and some evenings. As a KS2 teacher I have to mark all lessons - not heard of marking books on a rota system in primary. 3 lessons a day = 93 books to mark, plus homeworks etc. Also have a weekly plan (detailed with differentiated objectives) to do for literacy, numeracy and foundation subjects. It's all getting a bit too much! Makes me laugh that there's still an assumption that teaching is a 9 - 3.30 career.

16. henriette

henriette New commenter

I arrive by 8, leave between 5 and 5.30
    I do some intricate planning at home and create new worksheets here as well as completing some of the paperwork that accompany my TLRs (HoD and VLE).
    I used to spend 12 hours a day at school and all evening + 1/2 the weekend on work when I was a) new to it all and b) trying to impress. Nowadays, I wonder what I did to take all that time??

17. Imagine if all teachers everywhere worked to rule!
    However, is that why the phrased ' deemed reasonably expected' was added to contracts?
    Still, I would be surprised if any have committed teacher kept their hours to about 1300 hours a year

18. oldsomeman

oldsomeman Star commenter

so do you manage by organising, or rehashing?.....if you have idaily planning then you must have some speed at typing or writing.

19. henriette

henriette New commenter

Well, I've been doing the job for more than 20 years so, yes, I largely rehash and update the same lessons year on year.
    Now, I get bored <u>VERY </u>easily, so every year it is a bit different (and differentiated of course!), but there is alimit to the num,ber of waysin which you can teach colours in Fench to Y7 or to encourage y11 to produce writing at C+!
    My daily planning is, I admit, "I need to introduce the pass&eacute; compos&eacute; to x group, so I'll do a, b and c" and then print outr the worksheets that I wiull use, having spent 5 minutes tweaking each one to meet the needs of the class I am with.

20. My daily planning is, I admit, "I need to introduce the passé composé to x group, so I'll do a, b and c" and then print outr the worksheets that I wiull use, having spent 5 minutes tweaking each one to meet the needs of the class I am with.

That's what most of my planning, well the equivalent for my subject, consists of and I have only been teaching 8 years!