1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all KS1 Coordinators..help!

Discussion in 'Primary' started by impulce, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Im hoping somebody can help me out of my blind panic!
    As of September I will be KS1 Coord, but for a few reasons we are expecting Ofsted in ASAP In September.
    I have access to Raise-Online DATA for our 2010 Y2s, and sat with the previous coord to do data analysis for our 2011 Y2s.
    My question is - What will Ofsted expect of me? What will I be asked? As Im new to the role will they expect me to have all the answers still or will they understand Ive had little time/experience?
    Im swimming in data that doesn't mean an awful lot to me yet.
    Will they quiz me on July's 2011 Y2 data, even though we dont have the Raise-online stuff for it yet and cannot therefore compare it nationaly?
    Will they quiz me on last years 2010 Y2 data?
    Should I be preparing anything?
    I want to do my best but have had little guidance. If Ofsted were not expected it would be fine - I would have the time to get my head around it all, and time back in school with other staff to ask when I am unsure - but with just the summer to prepare I am floundering, and struggling to enjoy my summer.
    I posted this in the SMT Forum a while back and had some supportive replies but thought it may get more traffic here. I could do with any practical knowledge of what Ofsted will entail for me.
    Im going into my 4th year of teaching, and whilst ready for the challenge of KS1 Coord it does mean I have actually never been through an Ofsted even as a normal classroom teacher!

Thankyou all in advance.

2. My advice would be to know your school, particularly your key stage - best to be prepared. If KS1 was identified as weak in the previous inspection you will almost certainly be a focus.
    Know your previous 3 year's data (not in any great detail) but be aware of trends - are they improving, declining or static? Yours are below the national average but are not 'declining drastically' so you need to show a) the starting point of the children and the progress they made since; b) what was done to address this (how you tracked the children, accelerated progress, interventions and their impact, etc)
    Does your school have good baseline data for entry into FS and have you looked at end of FS profile scores? How do the children progress in FS and in KS1? This may help explain why they are performing poorly compared to national data. If you can show good progress from a low starting point then that's great.
    Know your current cohort inside out. What are your predicted results for the cohort in Y2? What support is in place for those making slow progress? What about the Y1 children? What are they predicted by end of Y1 and Y2.
    Providing you can show how you track children's progress and address any concerns you will be fine. They will not expect you to have performed miracles so early into the post but they will expect you to have a plan to improve things. Have a whole KS action plan - not just a plan for underperforming groups, share it with all your staff and make sure they know what your expectations are.
    It is a good idea to have an understanding of RaiseOnline but I have never had an in depth discussion with an inspector over this - they are interested in results, trends and your actions - and it sounds like you have already started to get to grips with this.
    Good Luck

3. Thankyou again for the replies. Singora - some great advice.
    Our children enter FS very poor and make very good progress. End of KS1 results are poor compared to FS results as they dont come out with the levels that people expect from FS results.
    My honest reasons for this are that FS is a completely different curriculum, have more support staff, KS1 have the job of turning 'emergent' readers, writers and mathematicians into competant ones which is a huge jump in learning.
    And the big one - children can also come out of FS with, say, a 7 point score in reading and not actually achieve the point that says "can read words in a range of contexts". So they can come out at what people will have you believe is a 1b already - and not be able to read.
    The fact that people try to translate EYFS to NC doesn't help. Every conference i've been on tells us that you CANNOT translate EYFS points into NC levels as they are not designed that way, yet we still seem to be held accountable to it.
    I know my predicted results for Y2s, but not the Y1s yet as they have not been baselined. When Im back at school I will try to get hold of their profiles. Once we have baselined in october we will identify any children we feel need extra support, and use our well trained TAs to deliver interventions.
    If I am interviewed by Ofsted, is it OK to have pieces of paper with all this written down on to remind me so that I can refer to it!?

4. We had exactly the same problem with our children entering FS low and making good progress then not making the same rate of progress through KS1. I would agree with all you said in your post about the different curriculum, the lack of transfer between FSP and NC, less adult support in KS1. However, we are still expected to move the children 2 levels across KS1.
    We had to make some changes as the same pattern was happening year after year. Part of our problem was that assessment in KS1 wasn't particularly good and staff weren't confident about 'building a picture' to level children and relied on tests (pre APP days) so that was the first thing I addressed.
    We also took the step of continuing with EYFS curriculum throughout the autumn term as many of our children were not ready for NC and this has really benefitted our children. It can mean that Y2 teachers have a lot of ground to cover for some children but they are ready to learn.
    We do track the children's progress and our whole school tracker programme converts this into a target for end of KS1 (argh) so we keep this in mind but also do a Year 1 baseline at Christmas using NC levels where appropriate and it is this level that we use to predict the end of Y2 results. So basically, you could end up with two differing targets for one child but the FSP one we use as 'potential' but the target from Y1 data is remarkably accurate at predicting the results by the end of Y2.
    We have become much better at AfL and the insepctors commented on our effective use of guided work to address misconceptions, children needing extra support, accelrating the learning of able children etc. Every term we analyse the data and see if children are unlikely to meet their target and they then have some catch up lessons, short interventions - as you plan to do.
    We use our TAs differently now too - they used to be assigned to a class (not full time) and each T would direct them as they felt appropriate. Now we look at the staffing across the KS and use our TAs where the need is greatest. One TA is responsible for maths interventions and one for Literacy but children from any of the four classes could be in the intervention depending on their need.
    We each take a different phase of Letters and Sounds and teach any children from Y1 and Y2 at that level - all TA support goes to the lower phases. It means that the children needing phase 3 in Y2 can have it. This has had a huge impact on our results although it goes totally against what our CLLD consultant advised.
    Make an action plan that outlines any changes you are intending to implement and update it termly.
    During an inspection if you can discuss with the inspectors where your KS is, what your predicted results are, what you are doing to improve the results then you will be fine. They are looking to see that the school's self evaluation is accurate and that you have the capacity to improve. I would put all your pieces of paper into an organised folder and take it with you if they ask to see you, then you can refer to it to show them examples of data analysis. You could even leave it with them to look through.
    When we were inspected we knew KS1 would be a focus area as we had the same problem you outlined and were below the national average. During the inital phone call where they layout their agenda and ask for information to be sent to them I asked if they would like the analyses I had and my action plan in advance. They were happy to take the information and when they came in they were basically looking to see whether everything I had laid out was true. I was interviewed by two members of the team but it was only for 10 minutes because they had read my files, observed lessons, scrutinised books etc. It was more of a discussion than an interview and I could almost direct the way the conversation went!
    Anyway, it sounds like you know what you have to do and I am sure you will be fine. Just be prepared.