1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all Key Stage 1 Teachers

Discussion in 'Primary' started by nc_marsden, Aug 4, 2011.

1. nc_marsden

nc_marsden New commenter

Hi, I am new to Key Stage 1, infact as an NQT new to teaching in general :D
    Whats the best piece of advice you could offer? One i was given recently was 'no smiles until Christmas'
    What has been your most enjoyable topic/lesson to teach?
    This post is more to be nosey, but also to stop me from being apprehensive about joining KS1!
    Also (one final question) any suggestions for activities for the very first few days with my new class?
    [​IMG]
    THANKSSS

2. nc_marsden

nc_marsden New commenter

Hi, I am new to Key Stage 1, infact as an NQT new to teaching in general :D
    Whats the best piece of advice you could offer? One i was given recently was 'no smiles until Christmas'
    What has been your most enjoyable topic/lesson to teach?
    This post is more to be nosey, but also to stop me from being apprehensive about joining KS1!
    Also (one final question) any suggestions for activities for the very first few days with my new class?
    [​IMG]
    THANKSSS

3. My advice would be to ignore the old "no smiles until Christmas" advice, you're in KS1 for goodness sake. [​IMG]
    On a serious note - don't try to reinvent the wheel, make sure you take time to do fun stuff at weekends that is not school related, if you don't understand something (e.g. teacher jargon) ASK, if you need help ask for it, you will be on a very steep learning curve this year and will get very tired, you will probably cry at some point during the year but don't worry about it (I haven't met an NQT yet who hasn't)
    KS1 rocks enjoy it.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter

I agree for goodness sake SMILE!
    Don't underestimate what your children can do if challenged by you
    Only accept their best effort
    Don't fall for the "they're only little" argumentand you will be amazed by them
    Remember you are NOT their mum!
    Have FUN!

5. Excellent advice here - definitely smile! KS1 are really funny! But be firm and consistent - establish the rules and give a warning first, then a consequence (especially for things like calling out) and msz is right, they can do soooooo much more than their mums (and ks2 teachers!) think! It just always takes a lot longer than you think. So my best advice would be to take it slowly but have some extra songs, stories and activities just in case. Enjoy them and do smile!