1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all ITC whizzes

Discussion in 'English' started by CrunchyMcFlurry, May 28, 2012.

1. Can anyone offer a bit of advice please? I want to do a lesson using imovie on the ipads with a class to act as a kind of summary of the book/film they have just seen/read but not sure one lesson will be long enough. I'm thinking of asking them to create a review or a 10/20 summary of the book/movie but I'm worried they might find it a bit too confusing. They're low ability year 8s and the point of the lesson is to show they know the plot and the story basically but I want to give them a fun way to do that. Any suggestions on whether it might work or not?

2. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

It sounds good to me. Try it! What's the worst that can happen?

If you're worried that they won't get it, record a model yourself first (use something they will all know, like a fair story or dead famous film).

It may well take longer than one lesson, but what's the problem with that?

3. Yeah you're right, it can't go that wrong surely! I will do that thanks for the suggestion. I'm not that confident with iMovie but I sort of know the basics plus I would like to see them do something fun/creative.
    I just wanted to make sure that there is evidence of progress/learning in that lesson even if it does have to continue into the next lesson. The only problems I really can see are logistics. They might want to to go out of the room and film but I'm not sure they will be allowed to. I'm thinking of suggesting that they get most of the movie from images and video clips from the internet using the ipad to embed them or something and letting them allow some outside scenery if they want. But then they might feel restricted by that? I just don't want them wandering off not doing the task!

4. CandysDog

CandysDog Established commenter

Unless you're being observed, don't worry about visible progress. Think longer term. Even if it's a complete disaster, you'll learn fom the experience, which will allow the students to make more progress the next time they do something like this.

It sounds like you might want them to do more of a storyboard than a film. In that case, there are probably more suitable tools than iMovie: Comic Life is great (but useless if you don't have it and can't install apps). iPhoto might do the job you want.

But I'd still let them film themselves. This is freer, so actually allows them more opportunity to show progress (if you're still bothered about that). Like you say, supervision will be an issue. You know your class.