1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all high school teachers

Discussion in 'Computing and ICT' started by School Boy Error, Jul 18, 2011.

1. School Boy Error

School Boy Error Occasional commenter

What ICT skills do you wish the year 7 children came with? I am in the process of revamping our curriculum and knowing where I need the children to be would be a really good start :D
    Thanks

2. School Boy Error

What ICT skills do you wish the year 7 children came with? I am in the process of revamping our curriculum and knowing where I need the children to be would be a really good start :D
    Thanks

3. DEmsley

DEmsley New commenter

Complete KS2 Programmes of Study properly. IF a student arrives having done that then it should only take us 3 years to get them up to the level that the primary school reported.
    Seriously - the point of the PoS was to get the students to this point and then we know exactly where we are.

4. School Boy Error

Not particularly helpful for either of us is it Demsley?

5. djphillips1408

djphillips1408 New commenter

I don't see the point in the exercise, nothing you can do can effect what skills they come in with. However I would take it as gospel that they all can pretty much do sod all, although their parents will claim they are all going to be highly proficient. Start from scratch with your revamp and assume they can't even turn a pc on.

6. School Boy Error

Tha's what I'm thinking but DJPhillips I think you've misunderstood. I'm a Junior School teacher and I'm trying to find out what skills Year 7 would like them with so I know what I'm aiming for.
    Thanks

7. So true.

8. School Boy Error

Again, not massively helpful. Our link inspector has told us to ignore the national curriculum now and teach our own thing. Perhaps that's what your local school are doing and since you aren't particularly forthcoming with what you actually want, they're teaching what they want.

9. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious New commenter

A working knowledge of how to design things in Word, Publisher and PowerPoint would be a start (like putting in textboxes etc.). The real icing on the cake would be to get them to be reasonably consistent with the style of their work, rather than the shotgun approach of spraying a presentation with every word art and background style going.
    Being able to do basic maths calculations and possibly sum functions in Excel would be useful, too.