1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all Headteachers- Your Opinions Needed!

Discussion in 'Headteachers' started by kcoleman22, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Hi all,
    I am currently running a piece of research on the lack of boys that choose to take part in singing at primary school level as part of my dissertation. I am looking to find out what factors are preventing boys from singing and how we can counteract these. I would like to get some head teachers perspectives on this and would be very grateful for a few moments of your time to complete a questionnaire for which you can find the link below.
    Thanks in advance,
    kcoleman22 Head teacher Questionnaire Link
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TYQGTGS

2. Hi all,
    I am currently running a piece of research on the lack of boys that choose to take part in singing at primary school level as part of my dissertation. I am looking to find out what factors are preventing boys from singing and how we can counteract these. I would like to get some head teachers perspectives on this and would be very grateful for a few moments of your time to complete a questionnaire for which you can find the link below.
    Thanks in advance,
    kcoleman22 Head teacher Questionnaire Link
    http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TYQGTGS

3. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

Is there a teacher training college out there telling students to ask for help on these boards? This is the second such survey thing I've seen this week.
    @OP - Sorry, only have the time to witter endlessly and make fun of Oldgit in my spare time, and I have no idea why boys don't like singing, other than it's a very girly thing to do..

4. greta444

greta444 New commenter

yes, singing is for girls. In fact we ban the boys from singing in case they start dancing, doing inappropriate arm/hand actions and making up their own words. That would never do!!

5. Would rather spend time helping them to read, improve literacy and numeracy and other life skills, of which I don't consider training the next X-factor or BGT contestant to be one. Singing is something that can be done outside of school and is in fact only a very small part of the Music NC

6. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

My question is: Is there a teacher training college out there teaching students to use correct grammar and punctuation as essential elements of communication?
    Sorry.
    I find semi-literate posts worrying from those who, presumably, will be delivering the Literacy Hour in Primary Schools.
    There is now another seminar on Applying for Senior Leadership on 13th March.
    www.tesweekendworkshop17.eventbrite.com
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.
    Look forward to seeing you!

7. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Just in case the meaning of my previous post was not very clear.
    As part of my dissertation, I am carrying out a research project on the low numbers of boys choosing to take part in singing in primary schools. I am hoping to discover which factors are dissuading boys from singing, and how we can counteract these.
    I would like to get the perspectives of Headteachers on this issue, and would therefore be grateful if you could spare a few minutes to complete a questionnaire. The link below will take you to it.
    Thank you very much for your help.
    E-mail Julia on advice@tsleducation.com for how to book a meeting with me personally.

8. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

It's a strategy Theo, it's not been the literacy hour for a few years now. Do keep up! [​IMG]

9. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Mea culpa, Curly. (Do you have a Classics Strategy?)
    Is the Literacy Strategy now to have a Literacy Thirty Seconds, providing this sort of example?

10. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Shh! We all know Gove reads these boards. Don't go giving him ideas. We all know ofsted love to bang on about pace!

As for the classics strategy, I bet it'd be right up Mr Gove's street ( but less popular down my school's since 12% of my children's parents can neither read nor write in any language).

11. TheoGriff

TheoGriff Star commenter

Oh?
    Is there a Numeracy Thirty Seconds too?
    What is 12% of two parents? [​IMG]

12. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

No, but there is an annual pedantry award ceremony.[​IMG]

13. DaisysLot

DaisysLot Senior commenter

PREVENTING boys singing?? Um.... perhaps their is some urban cultural ritual of stitching their lips?

14. anon2799

anon2799 New commenter

Oooh, I've a few who I'd be tempted...

15. MisterMaker

MisterMaker Occasional commenter

I learned dead good english in my school; clear as the day is long is what I said about the thing I wrote about.