1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all heads - or those with imagination.

Discussion in 'Primary' started by essentiallyprincess, Jul 8, 2011.

1. essentiallyprincess

essentiallyprincess New commenter

My 8 year daughter's headteacher is retiring the end of this term. It is the retirement do at school next Friday. I get an invite for being an active member of the PTA. I want to get her something special but she is going to live abroad. I have just finished my degree in teaching so money is tightish so looking really around the £10 mark. I want to get her something that shows her how much I appreciate what she has done for me and my daughter. When I first met her I underestimated her and thought she was a bit ditzy but she is incredible. Her pastoral care is incredible, she has always asked about me. I know for a fact that the time my daughter is in school she is cared for and it is like sending her to be cared for by family, as a busy student and single parent that has been so reassuring. How do I express my gratitude to her? How do I tell her ow fabulous she is? What do I buy her? As a head who was this incredible what would you appreciate?

2. lardylegs

lardylegs Occasional commenter

I don't think any gift will be as valuable to her as a card or a letter saying what you have put in that post. I would spend a fiver on a really posh card and send her a heartfelt message of thanks. It is that kind of thing that we treasure far more than any gifty type things.

3. essentiallyprincess

essentiallyprincess New commenter

Thank you :) That is exactly what my mother said. Tried to remind me that on placements it was the daffodil bulbs and the homemade peppermint cremes and the ...even better... plants grown from seed that I loved. I have always been a soppy kind of person but unable to say it. I will spend hours shopping for the right card for hallmark to say it for me. I think I am going to have to bite the bullet and really tell her how I feel. I hope/think that I have given her clues since she handed in her notice. As a caring wonderful head she gave lots and lots of notice. If the schools hadn't have joined and therefore she has been without an office for 12 months I would have just locked the door and not let her out.

4. littlerussell

littlerussell New commenter

The most treasured gift I have ever received was a parent who went down the trophy shop and bought a small trophy and had it engraved with my name, "world's best teacher, awarded by" child's name. That had clearly involved a lot of thought.
    I have also had a parent attempt to present me with a live rabbit, and had to talk my way out of that one!

5. Totally agree the things youve written are what would be valued so a letter or card, although not sure id appreciate an expensive card any more than piece of paper to be honest. If you want to get small token as shes going abroad id go for small piece of jewellery if she wears it and again doesnt have to be something above your £10 limit or even at that end its something that acts as a visual reminder. Clearly wont work if she doesnt wear jewellery or only expensive jewels! Or could it be a packet of forget me not seeds to go with letter

6. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

7. Last year I got a letter from a child that they had written themselves and sealed in a home made envelope with instructions that it was only to be opened by me... was the loveliest thing and more valuable than any 'best teacher mug'. hand written card from you and a picture/ letter from a child will be so touching and genuine.
    Saying that I also got a lovely metal bookmark that had a hand written message on the back from a child- simple but effective.
    Something simple like a pampering pack.. a genuine one that you have made - ie a gift bag with a bottle of wine, a book and a bottle of bubble bath (obviously if they drink, read and wash!) - with a note saying time to relax and then a card could be an idea?

8. becktonboy

becktonboy New commenter

A wonderful gift I got from a pupil was a DVD she had made showing some work she had done, with an audio recording. Perhaps your daughter could video herself and friends saying what the head means to them and add some footage of the school?