1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

calling all french teachers :)

Discussion in 'Modern foreign languages' started by jolaw246, Feb 24, 2019.

1. jolaw246

jolaw246 New commenter

guys, can you please tell me about your best lesson or activities to teach the passe compose to ks3 (one brief lesson so v little prior knowledge) many many thanks :)

2. Caity52

Caity52 New commenter

What for? Is this a one off lesson? When you say "one brief lesson" what does that mean? Is that all they have had on it previously? If so what did they do in that one lesson? There are a lot of resources in the resource section here that are excellent and can be adapted for your group. I suggest you start there, look for games to engage but make sure you have given a clear explanation before you start doing any fancy stuff!

agathamorse likes this.
  3. sbkrobson

sbkrobson Star commenter

I can only possibly imagine an interview situation where this would be asked of a teacher; one brief lesson on the past tense with no prior knowledge. That's odd for day to day.
    In that case, I'd choose a context, eg going shopping, going to a party, and I'd teach a few fixed phrases in the past tense about what happened. I'd do lots of repetition and practise games for pronunciation, then I'd give them a multiple choice quiz in English about how the phrases are made grammatically. At the end, having identified the auxilliary through the quiz, if there are any bright sparks in the room, I'd get them to recite or write out avoir and etre, and I'd get the weaker ones to recite me one of the phrases from memory.
    Then I'd leave and go back to my Maths lessons where everything is black and white. You'd think.

SophieNimmo and agathamorse like this.