1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all foundation stage teachers!!!!

Discussion in 'Personal' started by Bella82, Jun 15, 2011.

1. I was wondering if anyone could help to clarify a few points about EYFS:
    1) When planning a lesson where do you obtain learning objectives and general ideas?
    2) How often do you complete the eyfs profile (I know it needs to be finalised at the end of rec. but how regularly do you update it?)
    3) How would you say teaching strategies/methods differ in eyfs from key stages 1 and 2?

Any ideas/ answers would be much appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. Honey Loop

Honey Loop New commenter

1 - I assess my children in a general manner against the Development Matters statements first to get some kind of baseline. Then, I look at what skills they need and plan for those, usually using a broad objective from the Dev Mats again, often based on their needs.
    2 - I only complete the EYFSP at the end of the year. It's an end of year assessment so that's when I do it. I do update the Dev Mats half termly with new learning highlighted.
    3 - Daily observations inform my planning, so my planning is much more flexible than when I was in ks1. Also, I have to plan for the children's play, which sounds simple but really isn't :eek:) Another difference is that I have the benefit of revisiting the same activity several times over the week, to ensure that I pick up the children who were absent or not focussed on the day they did the activity originally. I also have to manage the unexpected opportunities, such as windy days or snow or rainbows and take the learning forward from these points.
    Does that make any sense?

3. So for planning and assessment would you say the best point of reference is the foundation stage guidance or are there any other documents I should use?

4. inky

inky Lead commenter

Wrong forum, Bella. Go to Early Years.

I haven't read the whole thread, so perhaps I've missed your whoops moment. If so, I apologise.

5. inky

inky Lead commenter

It is a whoops moment - the OP hasn't realised that she's posted on the wrong forum. Never mind. We've all done that from time to time. Repost on EY, Bella. [​IMG]