1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all experienced teachers...

Discussion in 'Supply teaching' started by Montana_x, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Hi all,

I have recently be offered, by my agency, to cover a Year 5 class for 3 mornings a week starting in March! I have supplied for the school quite a bit since October last year and have been asked back on several occasions which is great! I will only be teaching maths and English and the one teacher said he will plan English, that's fine. Now I will plan the maths for my class (presumably not his also as the classes are set) and the teacher I spoke with gave me a rough outline of the C2 unit (or part of) the children will be doing. I looked on the National strategies and it says that in C2 Year 5 look at data handling and measures, I only have plans for area and perimeter. Now when I spoke to her today she told me that it's area and perimeter because they have done a lot on graphs already. That's fine. So my question is why does the National Strategies have measuring area and perimeter as a D2 unit? The problem is I'm not wholly accustomed to using the National Strategies to plan units of work (I find it a little confusing to be honest) and when on training placements I used Abacus because it was what I was told to use. So now I'm just a little nervous as the school, although they use the text books they don't use the Abacus plans. I just find myself asking lots of questions because I want to get it right, but at the same time I don't want to come across as incompetent?! I'm going to follow the teachers plans as it's what she has given me and told me what they will be doing but just wanted some reassurance/ guidance/ advice from those who know!!

Sorry for the long message!

2. Montana_x

Montana_x New commenter

Hi all,

I have recently be offered, by my agency, to cover a Year 5 class for 3 mornings a week starting in March! I have supplied for the school quite a bit since October last year and have been asked back on several occasions which is great! I will only be teaching maths and English and the one teacher said he will plan English, that's fine. Now I will plan the maths for my class (presumably not his also as the classes are set) and the teacher I spoke with gave me a rough outline of the C2 unit (or part of) the children will be doing. I looked on the National strategies and it says that in C2 Year 5 look at data handling and measures, I only have plans for area and perimeter. Now when I spoke to her today she told me that it's area and perimeter because they have done a lot on graphs already. That's fine. So my question is why does the National Strategies have measuring area and perimeter as a D2 unit? The problem is I'm not wholly accustomed to using the National Strategies to plan units of work (I find it a little confusing to be honest) and when on training placements I used Abacus because it was what I was told to use. So now I'm just a little nervous as the school, although they use the text books they don't use the Abacus plans. I just find myself asking lots of questions because I want to get it right, but at the same time I don't want to come across as incompetent?! I'm going to follow the teachers plans as it's what she has given me and told me what they will be doing but just wanted some reassurance/ guidance/ advice from those who know!!

Sorry for the long message!

3. Go with the flow.

When in Rome..Etc..

You'll be fine.

PS
    Do you know how long it's for? Why do they need cover? Sick? Maternity?