1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all Early Years teachers need urgent advice, can't seem to see the light at the end of the tunnel- please is it me going wrong but how do othe

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Spice0012, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

<font size="3">Hi everyone, </font><font size="3"> To cut a very long story short I am an experienced teacher of over 7 years majority (nearly all) within KS1 and FS. I had a horrible experience with bullying from my first Headteacher it was nothing personal to myself; just I was next on the bullying list. This really knocked my confidence and self believe. To be honest it made me ill and I never want to return to feeling that way again. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">I moved to a smaller one-form entry school and up until recently have had fabulous times. I requested to move year groups to complete a maternity cover a few years back, as I felt I wasn't getting much CPD and wanted to enhance both my knowledge/ skills and CV. This was accepted but I was clearly told it was for one year only. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3"> As soon as I moved I knew it wasn't completely right but knew it was only for a year and I would learn a lot from the experience. Sadly it wasn&rsquo;t so, as my Head requested that I stayed for "just one more year". I admit the staffing combination within 'my' year group is good and we all complement each other well - but it is not where I want to be. However I accepted it, said nothing and have happily continued for just one more year. Since then my head as told me again he wants me to remain, I reminded him of his promise allowing me to move but was told that no one else wanted to move down - so I had to be the one remaining?</font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">I appreciate I sound like I am hating it but I actually don't. I love the school, staff and the children are fabulous but desperately want out of FS. I am so worried that I am going to become stale and have a poor professional development folder/CV. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">Not only that but I am finding this time around in FS, that SMT have a very strict/keen interest in quantity of written work in literacy/numeracy books but LEA want 80%+ child initiated evidence in profiles, because I work in a mixed nursery/reception unit time with just my class is short (2 hours daily). I can't jump through both hoops at the same time. If I allow more time for one I get pull up about the other, not to mention profile moderation soon. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">I don't want to fail or let anyone down but finding everyday more and more challenging. I'm even finding I'm waking up at night worrying about things I haven't found the time to complete at school; I work most of Saturday and plan on Sundays. Therefore I never get school out of my Head. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">Due to my school being so small most staff are either members of MM or SMT, I kind of feel like I'm under the spotlight at the minute and always being watched or do they believe me to be naff at my job. I appreciated that because I feel low I could be over analysing things and winding myself up unnecessarily or do I just have time management issues? </font>At the minute I feel so snowed under and very lonely at school. Am I going mad or being very silly?[​IMG]

2. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

<font size="3">Hi everyone, </font><font size="3"> To cut a very long story short I am an experienced teacher of over 7 years majority (nearly all) within KS1 and FS. I had a horrible experience with bullying from my first Headteacher it was nothing personal to myself; just I was next on the bullying list. This really knocked my confidence and self believe. To be honest it made me ill and I never want to return to feeling that way again. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">I moved to a smaller one-form entry school and up until recently have had fabulous times. I requested to move year groups to complete a maternity cover a few years back, as I felt I wasn't getting much CPD and wanted to enhance both my knowledge/ skills and CV. This was accepted but I was clearly told it was for one year only. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3"> As soon as I moved I knew it wasn't completely right but knew it was only for a year and I would learn a lot from the experience. Sadly it wasn&rsquo;t so, as my Head requested that I stayed for "just one more year". I admit the staffing combination within 'my' year group is good and we all complement each other well - but it is not where I want to be. However I accepted it, said nothing and have happily continued for just one more year. Since then my head as told me again he wants me to remain, I reminded him of his promise allowing me to move but was told that no one else wanted to move down - so I had to be the one remaining?</font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">I appreciate I sound like I am hating it but I actually don't. I love the school, staff and the children are fabulous but desperately want out of FS. I am so worried that I am going to become stale and have a poor professional development folder/CV. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">Not only that but I am finding this time around in FS, that SMT have a very strict/keen interest in quantity of written work in literacy/numeracy books but LEA want 80%+ child initiated evidence in profiles, because I work in a mixed nursery/reception unit time with just my class is short (2 hours daily). I can't jump through both hoops at the same time. If I allow more time for one I get pull up about the other, not to mention profile moderation soon. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">I don't want to fail or let anyone down but finding everyday more and more challenging. I'm even finding I'm waking up at night worrying about things I haven't found the time to complete at school; I work most of Saturday and plan on Sundays. Therefore I never get school out of my Head. </font><font size="3"> </font><font size="3">Due to my school being so small most staff are either members of MM or SMT, I kind of feel like I'm under the spotlight at the minute and always being watched or do they believe me to be naff at my job. I appreciated that because I feel low I could be over analysing things and winding myself up unnecessarily or do I just have time management issues? </font>At the minute I feel so snowed under and very lonely at school. Am I going mad or being very silly?[​IMG]

3. I am sorry you are feeling so low.I am not sure that I can suggest anything, but I do understand what you are going through, as your story sounds a little like mine. Bullying is the pits and can really knock your confidence. Even if you move away,you then still left with the need to stand up for yourself on the one hand and doubt yourself on the other, which makes the challenging environment which is often found in schools, even more challenging. As for the work load, that is unfortunately completely normal! Think about the children and how they benefit from all you do and how they don't judge or critisise, they will keep you going. Good luck.

4. You said there are a lot of managers on the staff. Is one of them the Early Years manager? That's the best person to have the conversation about work in books and the amount of time you are able to spend with your class.
    Actually two hours a day sounds like quite a long time for a teacher in an FS unit. OF course the plus side to working with Nursery children is the additional feather in your CV cap this gives you.
    I would also say that doing three years in one age group is also quite a positive thing as it gives you time to really consolidate good practice.
    With all this in mind, you do need to be able to have a Professional Development meeting with your headteacher, where you calmly state your case for your future professional needs and wishes. It is difficult and you should plan it in your head before any actual meeting, making sure you can get your point across in a calm and professinal manner.
    On the other hand, depending on the management style of your head, I have seen many teachers at my school get their way most successfully by stamping their feet and throwing their toys out of the pram!! Those of us who can be trusted upon not to do that can be told what to do whether we like it or not, and the head knows he won't have to face a tantrum.
    Personally, I wouldn't advocate this method!!
    I hope things turn out well for you.

5. I am in a similar school - just 6 classes and more chiefs than Indians. At the moment I know that most staff are unhappy. Few are where they want to be but HT thinks you should spend 3 years to refine your practise before changing year groups. I feel I know very little about EYFS and am just picking it up as I go along. Unfortunately no-one else in the school does either! I even lead EYFS - how crazy is that! No TLRs of course though. All you can really do is keep letting them know how you feel, make the most of it and keep your eyes peeled for something else.

6. I have been going through something similar and have felt like I was gradually getting dragged deeper and deeper under. I have been through a phase of not sleeping or waking early worrying about how much work there was to do, not eating and waking up feeling sick at the thought of going to work.
    Is there anyone in your school that you can talk to? I had a long chat with another member of staff one day after school this week and was able to get loads off my chest; lots of things I had probably never told anybody before. This really helped me, since then I have been sleeping, wake up in the morning excited to go to work (which hasn't happened for a long time) and have had possibly the best, most enjoyable few days this year.
    I really hope everything works out for you x

7. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

<font size="2">Thanks everyone, I expected to get loads of abuse from people. It was lovely to reading such supportive comments. </font><font size="2">With out giving too much away and being unprofessional. The year before last the deputy had to work in the reception side of foundation stage unit for a year. Where to our amazement and shock she turned it into a watered down Year 1. The children had very little child initiated play and if I remember right she didn't join much with nursery either. So as you can image I have the 'if Mrs X can do it why can't you' all the while but I have to join with nursery, child initiated times and different views of an effective EYFS. </font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Also as much as I like my EYFS coordinator, she is a lovely girl but is weak. I also feel unsure of her as I feel like if I said anything it could backfire on me. With my head thinking I am being unruly and not co-operating. Which would push me over the edge as I am currently running round in circles to comply with everything at the minute. </font><font size="2"> </font><font size="2">Sadly due to the small nature of our school and the fact some staff are very friendly outside school, I have no one to really to talk to and get things off my chest. </font><font size="2">Before working at my current school I had 3 years at another inner city school and the majority of it was within the Early years, so plus time at my current school - that&rsquo;s 6 yrs EYFS experience. I will request in my performance management in May a year group change, however I will have more chance of a big lotto win but I can only ask! </font><font size="2"> </font> I let you know what happens. Thanks again everyone. [​IMG]

8. Good luck on the lottery then!

9. Having taught both nursery and reception at the same time in a mixed class due to student numbers I empathize with you and it is demanding and quite difficult managing the differences in curriculums for the age groups, plus I had the other role and added pressure of being a deputy as well. It is tough not to have your wishes ( for want of a better word) to move into a different age group met. I have taught now in Early Years for over 18 years but all was my choice, I absolutely find this age group the most challenging and rewarding. I have mentored teachers before and what I was once told way back when I was very new to the teaching world is to always know the children and back yourself educationally. I pass this on to any teacher who I mentor in any form. That pretty much has always been my underlying motto in my planning, evaluations and dealings with bullying heads and senior management. It has always worked out for me as I have had evidence to support my justifications. I actually do not know how you are going to go with your current situation but stick to your guns and in a professional manner make your desires/wants/needs clearly heard and understood. For this alone you should be respected. My big pet peeve is when a teacher or several teachers water down a grade 1 curriculum for reception and even worse nursery and thinking this is okay. It really is bad teaching.

10. Spice0012

Spice0012 New commenter

Evening everyone, Well I had my proformance management and I did politey ask my head if she would consider moving me year groups to help support my development. In theory she agreed as she thought I'd worked hard in Early Years and had been succesfull in recent OFSTED. However she said she couldn't because no other memeber of staff would willingly move down!
    I'm pleased that my hard work has been noticed but very cross that she hasn't got the backbone to move other staff memebers. I apprecated that most of them have been working at the school for many many years but think its only fair we all have to change classes at some stage.
    Looks like I'm buying an extra lottery ticket this week.

11. Is moving schools an option worth considering? Maybe a larger school would have more scope for staff development. Having the luxury of a secure job, albeit in Reception again, you have the time to look around carefully to make sure it would be a move you are happy with.
    Other than that there's little else to be done, apart from that extra ticket!