1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calling all Art Teachers......advice needed re: death of short course GCSE in Art and Design.

Discussion in 'Art and design' started by James Turner, Dec 22, 2016.

1. James Turner

James Turner New commenter

Dear Teachers of Art
    Does anyone know of any examining body that has not abolished their short course GCSE in Art and Design?
    I teach in a PRU and Art has a 100% pass rate at GCSE......so far.
    Full course GCSE is great for those pupils lucky enough to be excluded from mainstream in Year 10 but, for those that join us in Year 11, the short course has been a life line and has even enabled pupils new to the subject to go on to Art College.
    For many of our pupils, Art GCSE is the only qualification in which they achieve a C or above, whether this be at full or short course.
    The scrapping of the short course GCSE now means that pupils starting the full course in Year 11 will be severely disadvantaged.
    If anyone can give me any advice on alternative accredited courses, or know of any exam boards that still offer short courses at GCSE, I would be really grateful.
    Thanks and Happy Christmas and New Year!
    James Turner.

JosieWhitehead likes this.
  2. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

Hello @James Turner,

Which exam board were you using for the short course?

3. James Turner

AQA

4. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

5. dookiedaveuk

dookiedaveuk New commenter

6. James Turner

7. elvis77

elvis77 New commenter

Have you had any luck James?
    I too teach art GCSE at a PRU.

8. James Turner

Haven't had a chance to look at ncfe spec yet. Will check it out when it's endorsed in March. Still trying to squeeze last bits of coursework out of this years 11's and getting exam prep underway.
    How's your lot doing? Which PRU are you teaching in?

9. MissFineArt

MissFineArt New commenter

10. lucythompson_ncfe

lucythompson_ncfe New commenter

Hi Everyone

I am responsible for V Certs across NCFE and can advise you that the current Level 1 and Level 2 Tech Awards in Art and Design are awaiting approval from DfE. We anticipate approval from DfE in March but, as has already been demonstrated, final publication of the qualifications being approved may be significantly delayed.

These qualifications have been developed in order to attract Progress 8 recognition for the 2019 tables but we are unable to confirm this until the DfE update their lists.

https://www.ncfe.org.uk/media/829895/level-1-art-and-design-qualification-specification-draft.pdf
    https://www.ncfe.org.uk/media/829896/level-2-art-and-design-qualification-specification-draft.pdf

I hope this helps a little!