1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Call to ban students with poor English and maths from universities

Discussion in 'Secondary' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 29, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. redlamp2

redlamp2 Occasional commenter

That anybody could ever get in to university without reasonable English and maths is a farce.

Middlemarch likes this.
  3. purplecarrot

purplecarrot Senior commenter

Basic skills. Basic expectations.

People who think this is unreasonable probably think that it's unfair to expect teachers to do the skills tests.

Middlemarch likes this.
  4. VeronicAmb

VeronicAmb Occasional commenter

I agree with English AND Maths... However, I failed my GCSE Maths and I read English Literature and Philosophy at university.

I think literacy skills are far more important than maths to 90% of degrees. I can of course get away with having bad numeracy skills whilst reading English at uni. But, A Biology student would need both skills (I assume they'd need maths) in order to complete their degree to the highest of their ability.

A C grade is OK. But anything higher is unnecessary in my opinion. I also don't agree with the skills tests either. Any teacher (decent human being) would understand that we all have had students who just ultimately struggled with their subject, regardless how hard the student tried - they still failed your subject. Having a C in GCSE Maths or GCSE English does not determine whether you are a good teacher or not. That is the major issue I have (they say the current skills tests is equivalent to grade B GCSE).

5. FrankWolley

FrankWolley Star commenter

I think you'd have to define 'poor English and Maths' first.

Then you'd have to show why poor Maths should debar a student from, say, an Art History degree...Or an MFL one... etc.

I suspect exceptions would have to be made for those with any dyslexia/dyscalculia...so watch the number of students diagnosed as such shoot up!