1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Call to ban students with poor English and maths from universities

Discussion in 'Education news' started by TES_Rosaline, Jan 29, 2016.

1. TES_Rosaline

TES_Rosaline Administrator Staff Member

2. Vince_Ulam

Vince_Ulam Star commenter

Ban them from ITT courses, certainly.

abacus1982 likes this.
  3. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Don't you still need GCSE English and Maths to get into university?

Or is someone suggesting that these are no longer a measure of a basic ability in English/ Maths.
    Surely reforms, inspections, exam boards, required teaching methodologies etc can not have been party to a decline in standards. ;)

wanet likes this.
  4. monicabilongame

monicabilongame Star commenter

No-one with poor English skills is going to achieve a good degree anyway, and I'd have thought the university selection process would filter out those who aren't going to do well. The son of a friend, having gained good A level maths, then had to do a foundation year at his university to bring his maths skills and knowledge levels up to standard as they were too low to enable him to start in on the first year degree course. And he went to an outstanding school!

The truth is that at one time only the top 5 or 10% of school leavers were capable of meeting the demanding standards of degree-level study. Everyone else either left school to go to work, or to some sort of college/apprentice study. Now everyone is expected to achieve the same academic standards, and they simply cannot.

So yes, let's have some proper standards again, and recognise that if someone can't make the grade then they can't access the study, instead of dumbing down degrees so that everyone can have one.

Kartoshka, nomad, wanet and 1 other person like this.
  5. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

Can anyone show me the actual report this comes from? The articles link to the OECD site but I can't find the specific report.

6. phlogiston

phlogiston Star commenter

However, if the university admits a student with low basic skills, who then drops out, the university still trousers the tuition fees.That's why they let all and sundry onto their courses.

7. lizziescat

lizziescat Star commenter

Except, I think, universities are coming under the same targets re numbers, achievement etc which schools have had to suffer.

8. BillyBobJoe

BillyBobJoe Lead commenter

Really? On what grounds do you assume that? Mathematicians, most scientists, and quite a lot of engineers can get through a degree with poor literacy skills. They may be handicapped by it when it comes to report writing and such but not catastrophically so. I've taught students who have significant difficulties with written communication but a flair for scientific and technical subjects who will do fine on, say, an engineering degree. Not every degree involves writing essays. On the other side of things, the world would have been deprived of C. S. Lewis' academic skills had the maths requirements for Oxford entry not been waived for demobbed soldiers after WW1.

9. Flere-Imsaho

Flere-Imsaho Star commenter

I wondered how many of these "failing" students have additional support needs and how they tested literacy.