1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

    Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

    Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

    Dismiss Notice


Discussion in 'Teaching abroad' started by grapessmartie, Jul 28, 2019.

  1. Anyone taught in California? Potential move there due to husband’s job but I’m struggling to see how I would teach without requalifying. Is anyone able to offer any advice?
  2. Arepa

    Arepa New commenter

    It is difiicult to requalify for a state school. However, there are many private (independent) schools in the state for which you would not necessarily need to requalify. Salaries at the best can be quite good.

    Good luck
  3. lsp22

    lsp22 New commenter

    I moved to Michigan and it took a year for them to recognise my teaching certificate and I had to retake basic skills test and a subject test. I also had to pay to get all my qualifications 'translated' so they could see them through a US lens. My advice would be to contact the department of education for California and ask them what they would need you to do.
  4. Wotton

    Wotton Lead commenter

  5. makhnovite

    makhnovite Established commenter

    As the two previous posters say it is a long and slow process, a friend of ours did it (similar situation to to yourself) and it took almost two years. They asked for transcripts going back years and they weren't easily available from the UK, as well as many other hoops to jump through. Arepa makes a good point their are now a lot more private schools in the US that don't need/want the paperwork, IBDP experience will help if you have it as more and more US schools are switching to it as an alternative to AP.

Share This Page