1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calgel nails

Discussion in 'Personal' started by gorgybaby, Feb 17, 2011.

1. ANyone had them? I had mine done almost 2 weeks ago. As my nails aren;t fantastic I though a French would be best. They have strengthened my nails no end, so I am pleased, but one has come off already and and one seems to have dirt in between the nail and the coating - doesn;t look very nice. Cost was £30. Just wondered if anyone else has had this done and if it is worth persevering?
    Thanks.

2. ANyone had them? I had mine done almost 2 weeks ago. As my nails aren;t fantastic I though a French would be best. They have strengthened my nails no end, so I am pleased, but one has come off already and and one seems to have dirt in between the nail and the coating - doesn;t look very nice. Cost was £30. Just wondered if anyone else has had this done and if it is worth persevering?
    Thanks.

3. Jonha

Jonha New commenter

Gorgy - are you married? If not, I am just going to have to invite you to Stockholm next time I am there.

4. nomad

nomad Star commenter

Dammit.
    I thought I krew every type of nail there was. Round wire, oval wire, lost head, tack, panel pin, cut floor brad, masonry, square twisted, annular, cloat head, spring-head roofing, cut clasp, hardboard, sprig, upholstery and staple nail.
    But Calgel?
    B&Q doesn't stock 'em.

5. I have used gel nails for over 10 years. I use an overlay on my real nails, not false or extensions. I love them and also have the French manicured look. You need to maintain every 6 weeks or so but they stay looking good about that long. My nails grow quickly so I sometimes need to go in to have them filled in. £30 sounds very inexpensive. I pay £50 for a full set and £15 for a fill

6. Are these false nails? Don't you realise that short and squoval are the most attractive look? Think Kate.

7. ...are the most attractive?

8. marlin

marlin Star commenter Forum guide

I had them once and vowed never again! They started to peel off and looked awful. Also felt different to regular polish somehow - didn't feel quite right. I stick to a 'normal' french manicure now.

9. THanks for your responses. Sea Pink, they are not false nails - it is a coating painted over your own nails. It actually looks very natural, and since I have not had tips on them they are quite short. It has now been over two weeks (I had them done on SAturday) and I have kept them all but two. I have just put clear varnish on those. MArlin I wonder if your nails were in good condition before? I have never bitten mine but they are really poor, very bendy and break easily. At the supermarket on Friday I did something which I know would have resulted in a nail broken to the quick but it didn't, so that was pretty impressive. I am thinking of having one more try and making a judgement. I can see the delineation now between the coating and my own nail, as they have grown out a bit, but it is not drastic. They can't be any worse than they were before.
    Nomad - you learn something new every day, but ~I never thought to teach you anything!
    X

10. Ooh ooh Jonha - i am on my way!
    X