1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

calculations policy

Discussion in 'Primary' started by sallysparrow, Mar 13, 2012.

1. The calculations progression policy that was devised under previous regimes is still in place at my school.
    However, since recent research has shown that the old compact methods serve the majority of children better, i am wondering if anyone is using a policy that promotes the more compact methods and if they have any advice to me in introducing this into my school.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated

2. The calculations progression policy that was devised under previous regimes is still in place at my school.
    However, since recent research has shown that the old compact methods serve the majority of children better, i am wondering if anyone is using a policy that promotes the more compact methods and if they have any advice to me in introducing this into my school.
    Any help or advice would be appreciated

3. paulie86

paulie86 New commenter

No specific calculations policy at my school, we teach all the methods and then let the children pick which one they prefair. For example about half of my group use standard column method and half use grid method. Similar with division half use long/short division, while the other half prefair chunking.

4. tafkam

tafkam Occasional commenter

I'd say it needs to be a whole-school thing, and that first you need to find out exactly what people are actually doing! Then have the discussion of why. Are you rushing kids to standard methods when their understanding isn't secure?
    You need to be clear, as a staff, why you want and need the policy and how it is going to improve teaching. Otherwise, it just becomes another piece of paper in a file, to be stored & ignored!

5. Our school has just re-written our policy. We had a staff meeting where we discussed the language, methods and resources we use in each year and checked for appropriate progression, continuity and opportunities to support LA and extend HA thinkers. It was a really useful staff meeting, and the policy is 'real'. We even had 2 open evenings where we invited adults in to go from room to room and see the sorts of things we do as the children progress (and they could take home a copy of the new policy). We usually do this when we re-write major academic/curriculum/teaching and learning policies and we get great feedback from them.