1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded education professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calculation - interview lesson

Discussion in 'Jobseekers' started by Scorchio, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Scorchio

Scorchio New commenter

Could really do with some help! I have a complete mental block!
    Interview lesson, 45 mins, year 5/6, focus is calculation, moving the children forward and assessment. I just cannot think of what to actually teach - levels range from 2b - 4c. Addition / subtraction?
    I would appreciate any ideas... I'm going round in circles!

2. Lara mfl 05

Lara mfl 05 Star commenter

If you wanted to stick with simple + or -, you'd definitely have to do larger numbers, but by year 5 they should be well into x and division,so if it were me I'd push for one of those and teaching them how to check their answers by the inverse operation.

3. Scorchio

Scorchio New commenter

Thank you - I think I'm most concerned about the range of levels, it's tricky to find a task which all can access at an their level whilst being challenged.

4. J.M.Powell

J.M.Powell New commenter

Take a look at the White Rose maths resources (free). They will give you a good place to start.

5. Lara mfl 05

Assuming you can work out which group is which and they're not seated randomly I'd say for example Table A does 3 digit number, Table B 4 and so on and randomly generate the questions using number cards / playing cards etc. Once they've done one and checked it themselves , swap with someone who checks again. can generate quite a bit of discussion if their answers don't tally and gives you opportunity to show your teaching/ intervention skills.

6. Scorchio

Scorchio New commenter

Thanks. They aren't sat in ability groups - and aren't used to doing this so not sure how it would go if I moved them around.... although I guess I need to be brave and take a chance! I like the idea of inverse operations as this can hit lots of levels.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  7. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Look at the Nrich website for ides of low-threshold- high ceiling tasks.
    Good luck with the interview.

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  8. Scorchio

Scorchio New commenter

Thank you all so much! Lesson obs went well as did interview, was offered (and accepted) the post :)

digoryvenn and Lara mfl 05 like this.
  9. Lara mfl 05

We used to have a tradition years ago where we congratulated people when they were successful at interview, so congratulations.
    upload_2018-11-21_13-55-40.jpeg

digoryvenn likes this.
  10. digoryvenn

digoryvenn Lead commenter

Well done!
    Congratulations from me too! :):):)

It is such a shame that the wonderful Theo is no longer posting here to award her sparkly stars. I remember receiving mine; it was so special!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.
  11. Scorchio

Scorchio New commenter

Thank you all.... through some negotiation, I start my new post on Monday. I've been at my current school for over 12 years - but like a sticking plaster, a short farewell is best!!

Lara mfl 05 likes this.