1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Hi Guest, welcome to the TES Community!

Connect with like-minded professionals and have your say on the issues that matter to you.

Don't forget to look at the how to guide.

Dismiss Notice

Calculating Point 8

Discussion in 'Early Years' started by Leapyearbaby64, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Can you share ideas of what consitutes this point? Given our scores in other areas, and achievment in AI activities, I'm sure we are missing provision and assessment opportunities and it's going to be a focus for next year. Examples I have are: sharing puzzle pieces etc between a pair or group; dividing dough reasonably equally and making adjustments; fetching additional equipment and then some specific role-play related examples.

2. Leapyearbaby64

Leapyearbaby64 New commenter

Can you share ideas of what consitutes this point? Given our scores in other areas, and achievment in AI activities, I'm sure we are missing provision and assessment opportunities and it's going to be a focus for next year. Examples I have are: sharing puzzle pieces etc between a pair or group; dividing dough reasonably equally and making adjustments; fetching additional equipment and then some specific role-play related examples.

3. I don't usually worry about scale point 8 for PSRN strands.
    Most of the things that children do to achieve the other 7 points will offer evidence towards scale point 8.
    This is very easy to see with NLC. For example, a child who orders numbers 1 - 10 by using counting as a strategy is using their developing ideas and methods to solve the simple problem of ordering numbers.
    For calculation, if a child uses their knowledge of number order to work out what is 1 more or less than a number up to 10, if they use their fingers, a numberline, objects to calculate simple addition problems, then they are also using their developing ideas and methods.
    These are just a couple of examples, but it's just a case of looking at howcchildren are doing the other stuff, listening to what they say about how they are doing it and recording that as your evidence.
    We were asked to look at the 8's for PSRN at an EY managers' briefing in the Spring Term and consultants were quite happy with the above.
    Hope this helps.

4. Msz

Msz Established commenter